Symbio bust, how to avoid a Smart meters.

I joined Symbio Energy not long ago following a post in this news group. One benefit was that I did not have to have a Smart meter. Now that Symbio have gone broke I am wondering how I can continue to avoid having a Smart meter. There is not much mobile signal where I live, so were I to have such a meter, how can I tell whether it can be read remotely?

Reply to
Michael Chare

They don?t use the regular mobile phone network. If it can be read remotely, you should be able to see your consumption data online.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I think you will find that at a hardware level they do. I was invited to have a smart meter at a place I was renting. I told them there was no mobile signal and they agreed that made it impossible

yes, but its a big IF.

I think they use some form of lowest common factor type service like SMS.

When you think about it all it has to send is:

METER: 10549637156; READING: 3409879

every so often, to some SMS receiver That is a really low data rate

where I was it wasn't 'poor' signal it was literally NO signal. And no TV signal and no VHF signal.

A little village in a valley surrounded on all sides by hills, and no mast anywhere inside

Only thing that worked was satellite TV.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In most of the UK they do use the regular O2 mobile network, though arqiva provides a dedicated 412 MHz smartmeter radio network in the North East of England and in Scotland.

Andy Burns

Ah, sorry. I had only looked at the Scottish ones.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

When the designated rescue company takes you over as a customer they will just do that - take you over. There won't be any choice of tariff in that first instance but equally there won't be any stipulation that you have to agree to anything new. After that's all been sorted out you will then have the option to change suppliers or change the tariff or the meter on your new supplier. Having or not having a smart meter will simply not be an issue for the takeover.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

It is going to be interesting to see what I get offered. If I need to change to get a better price, I rather think all the larger suppliers will want me to have a smart meter, the smaller companies may not insist but are also much more likely to go broke.

I am surprised that the electricity prices have gone up so much. The administration and distribution costs which account for a fare proportion of the price should not have changed that much.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Depends where in the country you are... in the north of england and scotland, the system is run by Arqiva and uses a long range radio network. In the rest of england its run by Telefonica and mostly piggybacks on existing 2G/3G cellular networks, but they also supplement more difficult areas with their own meshing data network to fill in the cellular coverage gaps.

Reply to
John Rumm

It looks as though I lost my Symbio account as well, it will be interesting....I have had no official notice yet, only media headlines.

Reply to
Sysadmin

Why is not having a Smart Meter a benefit?

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

The display tells you if the link is working. At least my edf talking one does. Also when they first installed it they had a problem with connection and sent a bloke around and its worked ever since. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

There's a growing list

- Fear of them containing a 100A circuit breaker inside the case,

- Fear of the Mobile connection being watched / hacked by unknowns,

- Radiation (Imaginary and Real),

- Remote display has to be connected to power, consuming electricity.

- Temporary employed Meter installer not tightening the terminals and burning the place down.

- Demand pricing, meaning expensive or limits on peak use.

- Eventually will be billed for power factor

(allegedly)

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

It's not a fear, it's certain, the fear is accidental or malicious operation of it

Who's afraid of the big, bad zigbee?

so unplug it.

You've been listening to Clive again, haven't you?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I wonder if Bilsdale was one of the Rx points !?

Reply to
Mark Carver

Deep distrust of those wanting to install them and their stated reasons for it...which simply do not make sense. Ergo they are lying. The question is why.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have not heard any info officially on Symbio folding. I even submitted meter readings today, this should give them an opportunity for someone to put it in writing.

Reply to
Sysadmin

Because, it is obvious to the supplier when the property is unoccupied. Also the supply can be turned off remotely.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Neither have I. I first heard the news on the radio. I hope I will find the new supplier from:

Michael Chare

Theo

And the cost of nuclear power is pretty well fixed over the life of the station.

Reply to
Andrew