EDF called

To try and book me for a Smart Meter. I told the almost English speaking bint at the far end that I didn't want it and put the phone down.

Am I required to take it?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

At the moment, the customer is only required to have one if the T&C of the tariff you've chosen require it, but the supplier is under pressure from OFGEM to meet a certain target for smart meters.

Reply to
Andy Burns

ta. Well fuckemboth

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think legally the meter is 'owned' by whoever currently supplies your 'leccy. therefore in theory they can change it as they wish.

Reply to
Andy Bennet

Just insist they install a generation 3 meter.

Reply to
alan_m

AIUI they can install whatever /meter/ they want if a new one is necessary - e.g. for reasons of safety or accuracy. What they cannot do is use it as "Smart meter" without the customer's consent.

Reply to
Robin

Whilst the government says no one is required to have a Smart Meter most current tariffs require you to agree to have one. So unless you are on an old "standard variable tariff" which is likely to get very expensive soon I suspect you agreed to have one last time you switched. Of course you can say "NO" but then EDF is free to move you to one of its non-smart tariffs which may be expensive..

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

What is a generation 3 meter ?

Reply to
Tim Streater

I think that is the point...:-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If your existing meter is considered life expired you have no choice.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

You can still tell them (for now at least) that they can replace the meter, but with another non-smart one.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Well with luck they will simply STFU

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Natural Philosopher formulated on Wednesday :

Yes, but only if you agreed to a tarrif that stipulated you have, or have one fitted.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

I think you'll find that the cheaper tariffs are related to DD payments rather than smart meters, although the latter may contribute. Are you sure the standard variable will get very expensive if the price cap remains?

Reply to
Jeff Layman

I think I have been on this tariff since before there were smart meters.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

These are the ones that are 'capped'.

Reply to
mechanic

On 29/09/2021 11:34, The Natural Philosopher wrote: > To try and book me for a Smart Meter. I told the almost English speaking > bint at the far end that I didn't want it and put the phone down. >

Not unless you move into another house, or require a new meter (currently), AFAIK.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

In the end we all end up with smart meters since they are not making anything else and there is only the old type around as long as there is a contract to refurbish them. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Even if there are no dumb meters being made (I suspect they might still be) then a smart meter could be fitted in dumb mode, of course how would the customer tell?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Put a Faraday cage round it and it's forced to be in dumb mode! :-)

Reply to
Chris Green