EDF called

They sent us a letter because our "meter is out of calibration".

I called them up. I told them I'll be surprised if a smart meter works here because of the mobile signal.

tap tap tap "Oh yes, we have had some failed installs" And didn't want to proceed.

"But what about the calibration" I asked.

"Oh, that doesn't matter".

So they were lying.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I have a friend who many years ago worked for BG arranging meter updates. Long before smart meters were a twinkle in the designers eye meters were meant to be changed every 10 years, for calibration purposes, although this period was very seldom achieved. In 35 years in this house I only had the meter changed once and only then because I could "arrange" a guaranteed Saturday appointment to do so.

I'm sure that the calibration reason is still valid but smart meter are not about calibration but more about meeting targets with possibly financial penalties if not met.

The recently deceased Avro sent me a email around 9 months ago that (paraphrasing) said: We are installing a number of smart meters in your area shortly and if you would like one please respond to this email. I'm sure that Avro had some targets placed on them by the regulator but didn't seem that keen on pushing it, possibly because it cost them.

Reply to
alan_m

I can't recall the details now, but the late Avro seemed to have enjoyed some form of Ofgem sanction because of the slow pace of their own smart meter programme - one of the reasons I joined them in the first place...

Reply to
Spike