Buying 82mm bricks for my extension?

Do house extension bricks have to be the same height as existing bricks? They are around 82mm high !

4 + 1/4 inches New metric bricks are 50mm or 65mm high. Are they around 50 pence each new but £1.50 reclaimed?

How bad would it look if I use cheaper metric bricks (with the courses not aligning), or inches of mortar ??

Would I have to pay VAT on the bricks new or secondhand?

George

Reply to
George Miles

Aesthetically it is best to match the bricks for size and type but if you are not bothered anything will do although if your extension shares a frontage then there might be rules you have to follow but then you are likely to have to apply for planning permission anyway.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

I don't understand that. 4 1/2" is not 82mm.

What?

It does not look good. Thick joints are not very good either.

Either on the bricks or through the builder.

Poke around on the 'net, or look at (for instance)

Chris Bacon

Does your existing brick size match any of these:

Might give you a clue about what size to look for?

Is that 82mm before the mortar, or 82mm between courses including mortar? That list has some 71mm bricks, which would be about right including 10mm mortar.

Theo

Reply to
Theo