Brick Matching for planners

Brick sizes: Approved Plans said "Proposed wall to be faced with brick to match existing" Existing bricks are hundred year old imperial sizes, Can I use modern metric bricks of a similar colour and texture? There will be a half a brick step between new and old walls

Or might the planning department make me pull the wall down and rebuild?

Reply to
George Miles

You'll have to ask your planners.

You might have been better to get your plans approved with a specific type of brick currently available.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

The only person from the council to see what you are doing is the BCO, and he couldn't give a stuff about planning issues.

Reply to
Andrew

If the original brick type is no longer available, then select the nearest match and check with the planners if it is acceptable before laying.

Will the wall be visible from the street?

Reply to
Jack Harry Teesdale

the new wall wont be visible from street, but will be visible by 7 neighbours from their carpark and houses.

I emailed the planners; [ in my kitchen extension 211682/FH - Can I use modern metric bricks of a similar colour? Do I have to show you samples first? ]

They replied: [ Condition 2 states that the development must be undertaken in accordance with the plans as approved and the materials indicated thereon. You do not need to submit any details. ]

I feel that means they wouldnt be pleased if metric but wouldnt make me demolish it, but i dont know, i have no experience of planners

Recycled Imperial bricks seem to be twice the price of new metric ones

george

Reply to
George Miles

Unless you live in a conservation area, I wouldn't be too concerned with this condition.

Reply to
Andrew

I see a lot of non material amendments that do say that they have changed due to unavailability of whatever it happens to be, and I guess you can only do the best you can. It seems that they put in another planning application for this sort of thing, at least around here. You would think might make fake old fashioned brick facieas for new builds. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

A friend came across this recently, and was asked to show them one of the bricks he intended to use.

Anyway, can't you use reclaimed bricks?

Reply to
RJH

Reclaimed bricks are twice the price of new ones. approx £6000 to £3000

The extension is at the back of my house, and stepped back from the existing mixture of old bricks, so I dont think it matters that much, I'd rather spend the money on triple glazing etc

george

Reply to
George Miles

Good grief, madness. I suppose there must be quite a demand if they attract that sort of price.

Can't say I blame you. Mind, if that's a hefty extension(?) - I'd guess the cost of the bricks is a small proportion of the total build.

Reply to
RJH

I was quoted £1.25 plus VAT for reclaimed bricks, and told new ones are £750 per thousand

If i can get the prices nearer then i'll go for imperial so the courses will line up existing bricks are 81mm tall

Laying bricks is the only thing I may not DIY as its not as easy as it looks on youtube to get them neat!

If windows dont need to open it'll be cheaper to get a triple glass pane made and then make my own frames with a router and table saw, i guess.

I got 2 windows from ebay, waiting for more...

OSB and wood might be very expensive, hoping prices will drop by next summer! I can do the roof in EDPM

Insulation I will use kingspan seconds

An hour ago I paid £712.80 for Building Control

Party Wall Act may be expensive if the neighbour makes me pay for 3 surveyors !

Plans are at

I was the first person ever to take a lego model to a council planning meeting ! (see supporting document)

George

Reply to
George Miles

On 14 Dec 2021, RJH wrote

My guess is that it's less a matter of demand and more to do with the relative costs of producing usable bricks.

Making them from scratch in large volulmes in a brickworks is bound to cost less per brick than dismantling the old structure, transporting the retrieved bricks to the reckamation yard, and then cleaning them up to make them re-usable.

Reply to
HVS

Nice model :-)

Reply to
John Rumm

In message <sp9mah$dbj$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, at 08:57:51 on Tue, 14 Dec

2021, "Brian Gaff (Sofa)" snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> remarked:

There's a thing called "slips", which are basically tiles that look like bricks. If the objective is to make something cosmetically compliant, then that's possibly an easier solution than sourcing whole structural bricks the correct size and colour.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Don't expect them to be cheaper than bricks though, very likely the opposite

Reply to
Andy Burns

I don't remember the price, I was more interested in matching the colour/texture, should bricks themselves be unavailable at all.

Later... £20 per square metre, but you'd be installing them on top of breeze blocks I expect, so saving the cost of even cheap plain bricks.

Reply to
Roland Perry