fixing skirting board to brick wall

i am trying to fix 4" skirting to a brick wall without any success. I have tried using "no nails" adhesive and oval nails but the nails just bend and wont hold the board close enough to the brick. The only other thing i can think of is rawl plugs and screwing the thing to the wall which will be time consuming to say the least.

any ideas much appreciated???????

Daz

Reply to
dbroms

Plugging and screwing must be your best bet.Get some decent masonry drills and brown plastic plugs and of course a half decent hammer drill. Screws about size 2''x No10 should be fine. Countersink the heads below the surface and fill with a good filler.

Reply to
michaelangelo7

The traditional way is wooden wedges knocked in between some of the bricks instead of mortar, then nailing into the wedges. You can rake out the mortar with an electric drill. I've had success no-nailing skirting to plaster. You could plaster the bottom bit and glue to that ? Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Not if you do it the easy way. Pre-drill the holes in the board with the same size as the masonry drill (say 5.5mm or 6mm). Offer board to wall and drill the centre hole into brick, insert plug and screw in. Move each way from centre. It helps of you have an electric screwdriver, then you don't need to countersink, just power in.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

Maybe you aren't using enough adhesive. One cartridge per 10 ft length is about right IME, and the nails shouldn't be necessary, other than possibly to hold the ends in place

Reply to
Stuart Noble

The only other thing i can

This is the *only* way I fix skirting board, as all other methods don't hold well enough IME. Same for picture rail and dado rail. On plaster I'll also use No-More-Nails for good measure!

Alan.

Reply to
Alan

I have used combinations of masonry nails (oval nails are not remotely strong enough), no nails adhesive and rawl plugs. The main reason fro the plugs is if the boards or wall are warped and you want a tight fit.

Reply to
Des Higgins

either drilling and plugging or find (make some) the wooden wedges and nail. gap filling adhesive is useful for, obviously, filling largeish gaps if the wall isn't truly flat and once painted white it's unnoticable. finish the screw / nail holes with filler, rub down, then 2 x coats of undercoat and one thin coat of gloss/satin.

take your time, do it right and you only have to do it once.

Reply to
.

dbroms brought next idea :

The old way to do it, was to clean out the grout between the bricks, then hammer in a wooden wedge cut to just the right length to which you then nail the skirting. Only masonary nails will penetrate into brick, therefore your easiest way is probably a combination of screws plus plugs and 'no more nails' type adhesive.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

You can hire a Paslode gun which will work on brick. Not cheap, but very quick.

david lang

Bloody hell there isn't half some crap on this thread.

Get a cheap sds drill some brown plugs and a 7 mm bit. Drill throught the wood into the brick. Pack out the skirting where there are gaps and put a 2" no. 8 screw in every 400 mm or so.

Hammer the brown plugs through the hole, hammer the screws home and give them enough twist with a screw driver* to send them under the surface deep enough to fill with stopper. You can get away with smaller screws and wider spacings. But why bother?

*Put the driver in the screw and tap it home with the hammer. If it ever comes loose, screw it!

Put the ovals in your bin. They are another piece of crap invention.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

In the past I've knocked nails into the skirting board to just penetrate the rear surface, then used it to mark the wall, and drilling the brickwork and fitting small plastic wall plugs, then nailing the skirting into the plugs.

Nowadays I'd use nomorenails or something similar.

Reply to
<me9

not just this thread

i find them excellent for nailing planed timber

what do you use?

breeze

Reply to
im