Fixing Kingspan or Celotex to wall. How?

Do I just

  1. fix (screw) horizontal wood batttens to the wall, at a distance equal to the width of a Kingspan / Celotex panel

  1. Push the panel between the battens so held by friction

  2. Fix vertical wood battens to points on the horizontal battens

  1. Fix the plywood or tiling board to the vertical battens

  2. Tile wall
?

Thanks

Clive

Reply to
Clive

IMO it depends what sort of wall you're attaching it to, and what you're trying to achieve.

If it's a brick wall, then really you'll want an air gap between the brick and the insulation, best achieved by building a studwork frame an inch away from the wall, and having the kingspan held within that by friction.

David

Reply to
Lobster

There is a fine netting that is made to cover the partition and hold the foam in situ. Or you could just tack a couple or three 1 1/2" ovals front and back. Fiddly for a large wall.

I suppose you could just run a couple of strands of fishing line for each row front and back. Actually you don't need anything on the face as thaty will be covered with board.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

There are a lot of .pdfs 'hidden' in the depths of the celotex site: sorry I don't have the URL, but dig around and you will find the info - you can also google for solutions.

But: wouldn't cavity wall insulation be a) nearly as cheap* but more importantly b) save you 50 or more mm of valuable intenrnal space on each external wall? Is it worth doing for LESS than 50/60mm insulation (plus board on top?)

*assuming this is a large project
Reply to
no spam here, thanks

Assuming there is a cavity to insulate our walls a solid stone/rubble infill. The house I was born and brought up in had 9" solid brick walls.

Celotex/kingspan is a very good insulator. I lined the end wall of a small bedroom here, took two two sheets of 25mm foam bonded to 18mm plaster board. The difference it made to the room is amazing.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

So far not bad, though vertical is preferred..and use 2x2 STUDS,. not flimsy battens..

No, you use the celotex foil tape to seal and hold them up

To the studs. We've just eliminated the battens..

If you want..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Totally unnecessary. Slap the celotex hard up against it.

No vapour can get in if you seal it, and if it comes in from outside, it can get out to the outside again ..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Assuming it is IS a cavity wall.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'm sure the airgap is stipulated on Kingspan's site; certainly when I did a conversion job recently which included insulating a single-skin external brick wall, Building Control were adamant that there should be one.

David

Reply to
Lobster

That's probably to make sure the woood studwork stays dry,BCO ijnsited I ventilate my solid block and beam suspended concrete floor too. I guess they were worried the concrete might rot.

I never got a satisfactory explanation.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I don't know about Kingspan but Celotex advise fixing it straight against the wall in the "Insulation solutions for solid masonry walls" leaflet available from their downloads page .

Reply to
Mike Clarke