kingspan/celotex under concrete slab

Just thought I'd better check before I hit secondsandco. The kingspan/celotex foam board to be used under the floor slab, as my solid floor is spec'd, so bearing the weight of 6" of concrete. Can the standard board be used for this - i.e. yellow fibrous, foil on both sides ? Or do you need a special stronger board for use under the slab ? (i.e. kingspan make some kind of "kooltherm K3 floorboard")

Thanks, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

You can achieve the same results with 125mm of polystyrene, although it does require more depth (obviously) and ergo, more digging, but this is often not required if the area is already well excavated, it just means less MOT infill.

Reply to
Phil L

I know that. Not enough depth, related to drains and existing house founds, this is for an extension. 75mm depth available for insulation, must be a PUR/PIR board therefore. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 08:10:03 -0700 (PDT), a particular chimpanzee, sm_jamieson randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Yes. Unless you're planning on putting a safe or industrial lathe on top.

If you think about it, 1m² x 150mm thick of concrete might weigh a lot (~360kg), but it's spread over an area of 1m²!

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

I know, I know. I just need peace of mind ;-) Thanks, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Wouldn't even that be OK though - ie spreading the extra load over the

6" slab?

David

Reply to
Lobster

and

Yes, but you need rebar or mesh (or both)

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson