Rockwool, Kingspan, Celotex - which is most mouse-proof?

I want to insulate the loft rafters in a remote stone cottage so the loft water tanks & piping don't freeze in winter.

There is no way of keeping mice out - they can get into walls (2 ft stone) below ground level and come up inside them. I know mice just love eating foam pipe insulation and would prefer some foam they don't like.

Kingspan have phenolic insulation (K7) and urethane insulation (TP10). Is one more mouse-proof than the other? Is Celotex better? Or should I just use fibreglass batts?

Thanks Roger

Reply to
Roger Moss

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 19:56:48 +0000, Roger Moss wibbled:

Can you get something to spray on? I'm thinking something that's like Bitrex to mice, eg tastes foul?

They'll eat glass wool too - though it kills them quicker and out of all the products it will last the best WRT hairy destructors.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Mice come in holes so fix the mortar joints, they nest in anything. Mice dont dig holes to enter your house.

Reply to
ransley

The only insulation that I can think of that mice won't destroy is vermiculite.

It's a granular mineral, very light in weight.

Mostly it's used to back fill chimneys after installing stainless steel liners (completely fireproof, and helps the chimney warm quickly, particularly if the liner is a very loose fit in the chimney).

For your application, I think you'd be limited to building an oversize box around the tanks and filling the space between.

Alternatively consider boxing in with either plasterboard or cement board (more expensive, much tougher). If the boxing in is carefully done, any insulation should be ok.

Reply to
dom

Can't help you on the mice - I assume you already have cats.

I'm interested in whether anyone knows the difference between the Phenolic and PU varieties of Kingspan, in terms of qualities and usage. I used Phenolic for my roof insualtion, as it was what Seconds

  • Co had at the time.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

I'v fitted catflaps, the neighbours cats come and go, I can go on holiday without having to feed the cats, there is very little sign of mice and rats any more.

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

Sorry I don't know the answer to your question - I used Quinn-therm. I solved my plague of mice with a three pronged approach:

1) Old fashioned mouse traps - to kill those already in residence.

2) Re-pointing wherever I found even the smallest possible gap in the lower 300mm of the whole periphery.

3) After the rush to die from (1) died down, poison traps (from B&Q) as a long term preventative against those mice who paraglide in, or climb the drainpipes.

So far so good. However to remind me to check every now and then, I have the piece of polyplumb pipe with the mouse-tooth-sized-hole in it on my desk.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

Hmmm. I've done all of those. And we caught 53 last season and we look to be doing the same this year (mid-20s, IIRC. The total's on the board downstairs, so ICBA to look right now.)

I've come to the conclusion that they're climbing the Boston Ivy on the front of the house and getting in through the loft, then down the pipe runs into the kitchen, which is where I catch (*) most of them. The house is damn near airtight. We used to get a lot in the integral garage, but haven't had a single one since I filled the gaps round the up-and-over doors with uPVC mouldings.

(* Well, the mousetraps do.)

Reply to
Huge

I've got one of them too (just to remind me). Was inside a dry-lined wall, behind a basin, behind boxing-in, dripping outside the concrete floor so no sign of water. Eventually I heard it drip.

Reply to
Roger Moss

I recall my parents having that in a house with boarded ceilings.

Then the boards dried and shrank, and left little gaps.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Rodent proofing.. Spray Rataway Fragrance from Rataway.com and save the home and the insulation

Reply to
ricksuddes

None of them. But mineral wool definitely encourages them.

Reply to
harry
2010, almost modern post by comparison to many we seem to get brought up again from the depths of Usenet. Brian
Reply to
Brian Gaff

...and of course you can supply to the UK

Reply to
John Rumm