Fixing breakfast bar to wall

Hi

What would be the best way of attaching a breakfast bar to a wall. Obviously the legs will be on opposite edge to the edge which is flush with the wall. I was thinking of screwing a batten to the wall, putting the worktop on this, then attach the worktop to the batten with "L" brackets?

Any other suggestions?

slider

forget the brackets use gripfill & skew screws from the batten up into worktop? as long as you're not envisaging shagging on it that should do? ;>))

or forget batten and use meatier brackets on wall (could hide bracket uprights when plastering - if it's one of them jobs...)

Cheers JimK

Reply to
JimK

Screw batten to wall, rest breakfast bar on that. Support other end with leg. Redesign batten for tidiness, possibly by sitting it entirely within a rebate in the bottom edge of the top.

If there's no leg, then make a welded steel cantilever, which will need some vertical depth on its mounting plate. Screw this to wall, then rest breakfast bar on it. Again, you can rebate it into the top to hide it. You can even hide its cantilevered arms in grooves.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

The simplest solution would be drill the batten on two sides, then screw the to the wall with one set of holes, and screw up into the worktop via the other.

Reply to
John Rumm

You could even counterbore the holes going upwards to reduce the length of screws required.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

slider formulated the question :

That is exactly what I did. I used rawlbolts to fix to the wall, as the fairly big screws eventually pulled out with kids banging into the table end. Also make sure the end of the table corners are rounded/45 angled, or you will live to regret it.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

"slider" wrote

With hinges and removable legs, so it can be stowed (if space is an issue).

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

El martes, 19 de enero de 2010, 15:56:53 (UTC), slider escribió:

Reply to
stephenpenny

On 24 Oct 2016, snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com grunted:

Depemds entirely what the wall's made of.

Reply to
Lobster

snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com expressed precisely :

I did exactly that some 20 years ago with a 1 x 3 batten and some long screws. It eventually became detached from the wall - kids. I then used

3x countersunk 3/8 rawlbolts through some 2 x 3, plus steel L brackets to join the top to the batt on - which survived fine.

Don't underestimate the leverage of kids crashing into the side of the table end.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

The OP did it 6 years ago. It's another one of those.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr