Table legs

I'm making my own router table, I've made the top of the table, now I need to figure out how to make and attach some legs.

What i've got so far is an MDF table top with some 40x20mm batten securely screwed around the underside edge. I've also end screwed the batten at each corner, so it seems pretty solid now.

To attach the legs, I was thinking of putting them on the insinde edge of the corner of the batten and screwing into them from both sides and possibly adding some glue for good measure. The table only needs to be about 30cm high at most. I'm not sure how stable this will be though.

Would it help if I joined the legs to each other at the bottom end with another square of batten?

Thanks for any help

Reply to
jg

As you describe it the table would 'rack' back & forth. Another square of batten would help, as would diagonal braces. Better idea if it's possible, screw sheets of ply on three sides to make a box like structure.

Another thought have you considered clamping the table top in a workmate or similar? That's what I did on my first home made table.

IIRC Makro had a table inc router for about £50?

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

Brace the legs with bits of plywood, glued and screwed:

_____________________________________ | |_____________________________________ | / | / | / | / | / | /| | / | | / | |--- | | | | | | |

Reply to
Rob Morley

My local shed has the Nu-tool router and table for £30.

Reply to
ben

I'd look at making a 3 sided box with the MDF and battons, this wil also give the table more strength and less bend.

I glue everything, for the few pence glue costs why not ?

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Really!!, which shed?

Thanks

Reply to
jg

I did think about this, but for a fence, I was just going to clamp one to the worktop so would want to be able to use G clamps going under the table. But you did say 3 sided, maybe that'd work.

Alternatively, I could add some 45degree braces both directions on the legs.

Yes, unlikely i'd ever need to open it up again.

Reply to
jg

Pivot one end of the fence with a nut & bolt & clamp the other end. Fence on a router table doesn't have to move/adjust parallel to the bit.

Dave

Reply to
David Lang