Attaching basin, cistern etc. to partition wall?

Anyone got any good suggestions for attaching a toilet cistern, basin and towel radiator to a stud wall? (old lath & plaster). I'm thinking along the lines of removing a section of lath & plaster between two studs, screwing some 18mm ply to the studs and then plastering back over. I can then use a multitude of fittings on the ply which should be sufficient.

Anyone got any better ideas?

Cheers,

Andy

Reply to
Pecanfan

That would work well - are you asking if there's a less invasive method you could use instead? I'd so no; for heavy-duty fixing requirements like that, that's certainly the way to go...

David

Reply to
Lobster

Yeah - just on the off-chance anyone had heard of some fancy gadgets that would do the job better. Can't think of any myself - don't really mind removing the laths etc. but it's not the most pleasant job in the world and if there was an alternative... :-)

Cheers,

Andy

Reply to
Pecanfan

I did the three of those recently onto a stud wall (PB + Skim rather L & P). The radiator I was able to line up with the studs, the loo had no capacity to be fixed to the wall (only the floor) - hence I siliconed it to the tiles for extra rigidity, and the basin screwed into the pair of

4x2" noggins I built into the wall for the purpose ;-)

The only one that will take any real load is the basin (although less if it has a pedestal), so the rest could go on cavity wall fixings of some description.

I have used a few of these recently, they seem to get a pretty good grip on a cavity wall.

John Rumm

Thats is the best method. As long as the studs are secure.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Its nothing really. Quick bit of work with a jigsaw and a blade that is trash afterwards.

Wath out for cables and pipes though...but if its that old, unlikely there are any,...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Have you got these to work reasonably on a crappy old lath'n plaster wall though? Can't say I really trust *any* type of hollow-wall fixing for those. For very lightweight stuff I'd hope to get a screw directly into a lath; for heavy stuff it has to be in a a joist, else it's demolition time for me!

David

Reply to
Lobster

Sick to death of lath and plaster walls... my lungs are now 2/3 filled with lime and horse hair... and no matter how careful you are, even in a hermetically sealed room, the dust gets everywhere... and I ALWAYS seem to injure myself on a lath, at some point, somehow... hence my reluctance :-)

Andy

Reply to
Pecanfan

Yes. Use mask, goves, and jigsaw. Clean cut less dust than smashing and levering.

You know the problems this time. So think about remedies.

You CAN secure things like cisterns to lath and plaster walls - something like car body filler spreads teh load over a sufficient area - bit really for basis - esepcaially fully cantilevered - you have to do better and fix to the studs, or even build new studs to take the strain.

Or what not bite the bullet and rip out ALL the lath and plaster so its gone forever, and plasterboard it putting in noggins where loads are known to be likely, and a quick reskim from a competent plasterer means that never ever again etc etc etc.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Having lived with both, I think I prefer L&P to plasterboard though. The wall seems more solid and offers better noise suppression than your average plasterboard wall. (Probably just down to the extra thickness of plaster on the L&P wall).

Having said that, if I am building it then the choice is different!

Reply to
John Rumm

The short answer is no, I only tried these recently and have not lived in a house with L&P walls for many years. Watching how they work however, I get the feeling they would be more successfull than many of the so called "cavity fittings" which I always found were less than satisfactory on L&P.

Reply to
John Rumm