Fixing roller blind to uPVC door

I'm sure I've seen this asked and answered here here before but can't find the answer. I want to attach a roller blind to a glazed uPVC door and am uncomfortable about screwing the small metal fittings directly into the plastic, bearing in mind the forces they will experience. Was considering screwing them to a batten instead, and glueing that to the door; however ISTR somebody here mentioning a bespoke plug method of attaching rails/brackets etc to uPVC frames.
Am I imagining things or does something like that exist?
Thanks
--
David

On Mon, 16 Nov 2015 11:38:58 GMT, Lobster

Hasn't the door got a steel frame? Test it with a magnet? I had a similar query when wanting to fix a security chain: what should I screw it on to. But I was told that it had a steel frame, and to drill pilot holes of the appropriate size in the appropriate places and use self-tapping screws of the appropriate length. Worked out very well. Very appropriate, in fact!
--

Chris

On 16/11/2015 12:46, Chris Hogg wrote:

That's exactly what I did for my mum, many years ago.
On 16/11/2015 13:22, newshound wrote:

If testing with magnet, do consider the frames maybe aluminium.
Your local UPVC hardware supplier should be able to supply appropriate screws, see below. I used some of the repair screws to re secure some handles and they are rock solid.
https://www.upvc-hardware.co.uk/screws-accessories
Richard
On 16/11/2015 13:22, newshound wrote:

Most screws bite like crazy into pvc providing you drill a small (2mm?) pilot hole first, but self tappers are better if you have them. 10mm are plenty long enough
On 16/11/15 17:09, stuart noble wrote: <snip> > Most screws bite like crazy into pvc providing you drill a small (2mm?)

Pilot holes? On this newsgroup? I thought most denizens used either a big hammer or an impact driver. You'll be advocating clearance holes, and countersinking, and round-head screws through metal next!
You're absolutely right about self-tappers or really, any modern single-start woodscrew for upvc. I keep a gash,roughly re-sharpened 1/16 or thereabouts twist drill in an old hand drill for such piloting purposes.
--
Kevin

If its permanent, I'd not be too worried about drilling holes and using small self tapping screws. My roller blind has been up for five years with no problems. Its a Wilkinson's one. Of course it goes without saying that you need to make small holes and do not over tighten the screws. Most of the innards of the blind seems to be held together with little self tapping screws into plastic, in my one and nothing has cracked or stripped its threads.
Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
On Monday, 16 November 2015 11:39:02 UTC, Lobster wrote:

Ensure that the roller clears the door frame when the door is at 90 degrees to the frame.