upvc door hinge

hello. We have a upvc door fitted 5 yrs ago. It has 3 hinges. The top hinge is coming away from the frame not the door. How easy is it to take the door off its hinges to re screw the top hinge into the frame?

many thanks

Reply to
Fray Bentos

Didn't it come with a 10 years guarantee as standard? Might be able to get some of your money's worth out of the company that installed it.

Reply to
BigWallop

If you look at the hinges they may have pins that can be driven out easily allowing the hinges to be seperated. I does save a lot of time.

When rehanging two assistants are nice or some small pieces of wood to lift the door on to for the pins to be reinserted. No force should be required other than very gentle tapping with a SMALL hammer or rubber hammer.

Reply to
EricP

looking a little closer it seems the hinge has a hex slot at the top and the bottom. maybe undo one against the other and the door lifts off?

Reply to
Fray Bentos

Are you sure that it's not just a case of adjustment being needed? Some uPVC doors have adjustable hinges - requiring the use of an Allen key (or sometimes, 2 different Allen keys). One adjuster moves the door closer to or away from the frame in the plane of the door. The other adjuster moves the door at right-angles to its own plane - in effect moving it further into the house or out towards the garden.

Reply to
Set Square

ha ha. would you believe it ? after unscrewing the top allen bolt, it turns out its just a sort of dust cap, and the whole door just lifts off the hinge pins, without anything needing un-doing after all.

I lifted the door off and found that the bad hinge had 2 screws which were loose in the holes and one had snapped, so I just used very small parts of rawlplugs to fill the holes and put some new screws in. All done. I figure the heat on the back door must have warped it slightly, putting stress on the hinge causing it to fail.

Reply to
Fray Bentos