Brick straps?

Here in Oklahoma we had the largest earthquake in our recorded history last week. Compared to California it didn't amount to much, but there was some damage. On some homes the brick facing came down. It took me a while to realize that when I saw pictures of those homes I didn't see any signs of brick straps to hold the brick up. Am I just missing them, or have they quit using brick straps? I never even thought about it before, but in the back of my mind I have just always understood that brick straps would always be used with brick facing.

If anybody doesn't know what I am talking about brick straps are metal straps that are fastened to the structure of a house at one end. The other end is mortared in between the bricks to keep the bricks against the wall.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Gill

On a brick veneer you should always use wall ties of some kind. There are several types. Earthquakes are hard to prepare for and wall ties can only do so much.

Reply to
tmurpha1hi

I think/guess the OP meant what was the building code????

Reply to
hrhofmann

That is correct - they always should be used and Code requires them. From the NY version of the IRC: =A7RR607.3 Installation of wall ties. The installation of wall ties shall be as follows: 1. The ends of wall ties shall be embedded in mortar joints. Wall tie ends shall engage outer face shells of hollow units by at least

1/2 inch (12.7 mm). Wire wall ties shall be embedded at least 1-1/2 inches (38 mm) into the mortar bed of solid masonry units or solid grouted hollow units. 2. Wall ties shall not be bent after being embedded in grout or mortar.

The straps don't totally eliminate brick problems from earthquakes, settlement and freezing/thawing, but they certainly go a long way.

RicodJour

Bill Gill wrote in news:j9r77j$9a3$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Since the straps are mortared into the bricks but only nailed to the frame, possibly they just pulled out of the frame and fell down with the bricks.

Reply to
Tegger

Bricks and earthquakes simply do not go together (or more properly stay together). A block wall can be dowelled and grouted so they are a bit more robust, particularly if there is a tie beam and hooks above and below.

Reply to
gfretwell