Putting electrical outlets in brick?

I am installing an outlet on a porch of a brick house. Do you just knock out a space for the box and wedge it in or is there some special way in brick? I presume that you should put a special cover on the outlet to protect from the weather.

Reply to
W. Wells

Pics?

Most likely you would want to surface mount it.

Reply to
scott21230

You certainly can knock out a brick or two and place your outlet in the opening and replace partial bricks to fill in the space, plus mortar. I've seen this type of outlet, with spring-loaded outlet covers on some houses.

However, it might be better to mount an outlet box to the surface of the bricks. That way would have less damage to the brick surface (just enough to let the power cable through), but can have similar or better weather protection. There are weather-resistant outlet boxes available at most home centers.

It probably depends upon where your outlet is located and whether or not a lot of water drains down the brick surface. Either way, GFCI!

Sy

Reply to
Seymour Bigby-Heinz

Been there done this:(

Trust me long term your way better off with a outdoor sealed box just mounted to the brick!

More secure way less work and no moisture issues causing box rusting over the years.

I put one in the bricks, admittely over 20 years ago and have redone it for a variety of reasons over the years. Mostly moisture leaking inside. I finally left a opening at the bottom so any water that gets in has a easy way out.

The surface monunted boxes have NEVER had a problem, and some are in nearly as long.

Reply to
hallerb

Reply to
W. Wells

If this is for occasional use, and you are tall enough to reach it, look at putting it in the soffit. Great for Xmas lights, etc. Also usually easier to get a wire to it. Yes, you need a weather-proof cover. If you do put it in the brick, you want a weather-proof box as well, since the back of the brick isn;t always dry. Remember to put a GFCI upstream.

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

Is this to be installed in an existing brick wall or in a new one? In either case you install a masonry box with an in use cover and caulk the hell out of it. There are in use covers that are built into a box so the cover will not protrude from the wall.

Reply to
Tom Horne, Electrician