No water heater straps in earthquake country, a violation?

This 200-square feet outbuilding has a toilet, bathroom, kitchen, fireplace, a large dining table and a water heater. This room isn't for sleeping. We're located 80 miles from the largest quake epicenter in California. The largest one I felt is no different than trying to walk about inside a moving bus. A San Mateo building code (40 miles from where we are) appears to want two earthquake straps and two 15" of inlet/outlet pipe insulation which I don't have. They also require a permit and inspection which I don't have. We're only 80-percent up to code. Can we live without this?

-- Thanks

Leroy Mowry

Why risk it , your insurance co may refuse you.

Reply to
m Ransley

Sure you can, but do you want to?

Do you think that the earthquake you felt is the biggest there will ever be? I notice this is posted from an EDU account. Did you learn anything in school about complying with codes and about the magnitude of earthquakes?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Greetings,

How old is your water heater? You might be able to replace your water heater at the same time you comply with the codes. This will save $$$ over doing each individually.

Hope this helps, William

PS: Even if you don't add the inlet/outlet pipe insulation until the tank dies and is replaced what is stopping you from adding the straps?

Reply to
William Deans

I would say that living where you do that you would want it anyway. You are right on top of the San Andreas fault so some strapping would be a very good idea. I would also think that it would be required by code, but I don't know. If your water heater fell over it could rupture gas lines (assuming it's a gas water heater) which could lead to explosion. Either type of water heater could lead to scalding if anyone happened to be in the room when an earthquake occured. The strapping and insulation are very cheap insurance so I would say just do it.

Wayne

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

It sounds like the building code doesn't apply to you because you don't live in San Mateo, so "a violation" is a non-issue. It also sounds like it would be stupid not to add the straps. When I had a garage built last year, I had the roof tied down with hurricane straps even thought the code doesn't require it. It was *very* cheap protection against damage from a small tornado, etc.

I also believe I read in Mother Earth News a few years ago that the Uniform Building Codes do not apply to structures under 600 square feet.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

That's 120 square feet according to the IBC 2000, which is the one I have here at home,, and is only applicable to certain structures. The issue at question would involve the Mechanical and Plumbing codes, which would still apply. Yes, you can probably live without it, but codes exist for a purpose. Why not be right?

Dan

Reply to
Dan

I think that's what I said. ("It also sounds like it would be stupid not to add the straps.") At least that's what I was trying to say. IMHO, people worry too much about the "code" just for the code's sake, and not enough about doing the job right.

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Fix this while you're fixing your chimney and smoke detectors.