Sealing a damp Floor

An acquaintance has asked me about a problem with their conservatory floor.

It seems to get damp in wet weather, I suspect the membrane has failed. The floor seems to be some kind of stone tiles. They plan to replace it all in due course, including a new floor, but would like a temporary fix.

I?ve seen sealants for concrete etc and was wondering if there was some clear sealant which could be applied, probably in the summer, as a temporary fix.

It needs to be pet safe - they have a dog.

Reply to
Brian

Proper Membranes do not 'fail'. Either they have defects from the outset or they don't. A proper 1200 gauge DPM is unlikely to fail.

Sounds like the original builders didn't put a proper DPM down, but just some bits of old polythene (probably the stuff used to protect UpVC windows in transit). if this junk is immediately below the stone flooring then the heat of a conservatory in summer will soon make it disintegrate.

Reply to
Andrew

I had an old porch at the front, floor level was between outside ground level and main house floor level, it was often a bit damp in the corners. I wanted to raise the level, I used wickes liquid DPM, two coats on the concrete and first course of bricks up, then about a 4" pour of deep-fill levelling compound, no damp problems at all since.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Good point. I?ve no idea re the history of the build etc.

Reply to
Brian

I was wondering if the problem was external - ie the patio perhaps being higher than the dpc and/or dpm. I don?t know the conservatory that well to be sure.

Reply to
Brian

If this is the ground floor, one wonders if due to the nearby developments if the water table locally has been raised and its simply getting in over the membrane. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

dig a drainage ditch around it

gosforth handyman > An acquaintance has asked me about a problem with their conservatory floor. >

Reply to
George Miles

I was wondering if it was run off from the patio etc.

I don?t know the relative heights of floor and patio etc. Not something you notice when enjoying a BBQ etc.

I?ll mention it as something to check.

Reply to
Brian

Could it be condensation?

Damp from underneath would be localised to certain areas whereas condensation forming from an un-insulated base would be "everywhere"

Something to rule out before trying to fix the wrong cause.

Cheers - Pete

Reply to
www.GymRats.uk

Hmm, something to rule out. I?ve not seen the damp patch(es) so I don?t know exactly where there are - just a general idea. It could be condensation dripping, I?ve never seen condensation directly on a floor.

Reply to
Brian