Small brick wall....Decorative not structural

Need to erect a 3 or maybe 4 course brick high wall at the front of property garden. Only as a finish off to the garden and not for anything structural.

Question is would it be better to make a 4" thick concrete base or just lay the first course on compacted rubble etc ?

Rented house so I don't want to go to huge expense just make it look nice and for it to last a while

Any suggestions as to what to avoid topping it off with? I'm not keen on those triangle topped stones so any ideas other than that welcome

Reply to
Nthkentman

Rubble isno good as a foundation for a wall. If you want a quick cheap job, use stakes/posts and planks.

Reply to
harryagain

Use bricks with holes in and drive rebar as far as possible into the ground with at least one bar per brick. choose the holes you use so the bar will pass through subsequent courses whilst maintaining the bond. Chop off any protrusions through the top course with the compulsory project tool - Angle grinder. If you make is a 9" thick wall you can top off with a soldier course of brick either the same colour of use blue engineering bricks for contrast. Use frost proof bricks throughout.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

100 thick concrete base ... 50,, wider each side than the width of wall.
Reply to
Rick Hughes

Rubble isno good as a foundation for a wall. If you want a quick cheap job, use stakes/posts and planks.

Already "acquired" the bricks, so ready to go.

A fence would get nicked anyway LOL!

Reply to
Nthkentman

Use bricks with holes in and drive rebar as far as possible into the ground with at least one bar per brick. choose the holes you use so the bar will pass through subsequent courses whilst maintaining the bond. Chop off any protrusions through the top course with the compulsory project tool - Angle grinder. If you make is a 9" thick wall you can top off with a soldier course of brick either the same colour of use blue engineering bricks for contrast. Use frost proof bricks throughout.

Good idea Bob, I have access to re-bar, angle grinder, gas axe, and 14lb sledge....I'll do that process and put a 100mm deep concrete base under as Rick suggested to make it more solid as well. Only a pier at each end and single wall construction for decoration.

It'll drive the neighbours barmy..... All the bricks are different types and colours LOL!

Reply to
Nthkentman

ive used rubble in the concrete to lay rough foundations and slab floors but I actually built a wall on nothing more than 5 " of trench with sand at the bottom and the underground course of concrete blocks laid on the side..BUT I did tie every block and brick with steel ties.

If the OP is prep[ared to lay with ties on every brick on every course, almost no foundations are necessary,and rubble will do nicely sir!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher