Subject Author Posted Replies

Radial circuit to workshops.
I've one workshop, with a 2.5 sq mm T&E from a 16A MCB in the consumer unit, running about 15m from there to where it goes in to the workshop to about 20m to a possible/proposed exit. The reason I say...
2
2

Finished the handrails
Following on from the previous discussion about bending a handrail in the "hard" direction, I thought you might want to see how it turned out: hydraulic presses, forges, or hot bending of any kind,...
13
13

Running on veg Oil?..
Had to be asked didn't it;! If this fuel supply crises and panicked buying gets much worse could you sort of pad out what's in your diesel car tank with some cooking oil this is the unused stuff, not...
18
18

Glasgow climate change conference
Oh well. Never mind.
10
10

Convert4 Socket
I've been busily replacing the double sockets in our kitchen with these 4 socket convertors: I have left one of the double sockets for now, as it has a couple of high power items plugged in, namely a...
34
34

More basic questions on wiring
Probably basic to experienced installers, but I can't find the regs: 1) When using a lighting junction box in the loft, it must be screwed down. Where is acceptable? Top of joist (it'll overhang the...
8
8

OTish: Best free network manager- replace ClearOS? Maybe pfSense?
Hi All, I have been using ClearOS on an old PC for many years to manage my internal network. I have my broadband router on it's own subnet on one NIC of my ClearOS PC and then the internal network on...
38
38

Numatic Henry (year 2001?) stopped, fixed.
Well, I thought it was about time I took the vacuum cleaner around, it's about that time of year... so I used it for 5 mins, then got a phone call. After that, Henry would not start. The problem...
20
20

OT: Booster Jabs
Gentlemen, My spies in the UK tell me that when the booster jabs are rolled out (as I gather they soon will be) you will only have a choice between Pfizer and Moderna. What happened to the...
17
17

Best computer for old geezer?
Hi all, An old pal of mine (just turned 80) is *very* computer illiterate and really struggles like hell with keeping Windows running on his PC. He really needs something which looks after itself and...
138
138

Sentinel X400 System Restorer - or poweflush
That time of year again that the heating will soon be cutting in. Trying to get ahead of the curve it's been 4 years since I last put inhibitor in, so maybe it's time for a drain and refill. Usually I...
3
3

Dishwasher repair
This morning I found our dishwasher with a blank LED display but with the sound of the drain pump running. Switching the power off stopped the pump and it appeared that the machine had completed it's...
13
13

The batteries are coming tomorrow
I asked a friend with a smoke alarm bleeping problem to pick up 3 x PP3 batteries for me to swap for him. So he ordered on line as it is cheaper than using a shop! The world has gone mad.
69
69

Identifying a foam rubber
I have an accessory that fits on my Thule Roof rack .... it has 'foam rubber' padding over the bars. In one place the rubber has ripped ... no enough to warrant replacing, the flap would glue back...
9
9

Round pin plugs / socket ?
I have some round pin sockets which I want to connect a table lamp to. Checking on ebay there are 2 amp 5 amp and some 3 amp round pin plugs available. Is there any difference in the pin diameters...
15
15