OT Scam email detail (new to me)

Often the whole of the email body just consists of an image with a link behind it. They do that to make it more dangerous to click as you observed, but also to reduce the amount of real text there, thus trying to fool spam filters that analyse the text.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Yet another good reason for using a command line/text mode E-Mail program. :-)

Reply to
Chris Green

Scary

Would a spam filter recognise *any* text displayed in the form of an image ?

bb

Reply to
billy bookcase

No, but there's the subject line as well. My spam filter includes that with body text, if any. And one can do a certain amount with ordinary filters, too.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Makes more sense to use one with a decent UI which asks you to confirm that you want to follow an embedded link.

Reply to
zall

But anyone sensible has their email reader set to not display images or remote content by default.

Reply to
SteveW

No need. Any decent email reader will have options (usually set by default) to not display images or remote content, unless the user specifically opts to do so.

Reply to
SteveW

I'm getting apparently blank emails supposedly from virgin media which if you hit enter on they take you to a carbon copy of the Virgin site, but since I'd never have believed anyone who sends text in graphics like this, its a bit of a giveaway. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Or turn off external content

Reply to
wasbit

Or indeed not render HTML at all.

Reply to
Joe

Sensible people who insist on sending HTML emails include a text alternative for people like me, including all the links. Most do, some don't.

Reply to
Joe

Which is why I use a command line/text mode program. I *can* view HTML but 99.9% of the time I don't need to.

Reply to
Chris Green

Aren't those mutually exclusive conditions?

Too often it's just "your email program can't display this content" when of course it can,, I just chose not to, and sometimes "view this in your browser". But if they can't be bothered to supply alternative text I often can't be bothered to look at the HTML version. If something is probably dodgy but I'm still curious I'll just disable networking before clicking anything.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Not viable given that most bills come like that now.

Reply to
Rod Speed

My app does that by defualt unless you've moved the email to a mailbox which is not Junk or Trash.

Reply to
Tim Streater