Architectural detail

I need the name for an architectural detail, and my memory won't kick in.

It's a horizontal element on the facade, running across the front of the building, about two feet below the top of the facade. It's two separate wood pieces that form a triangle in cross section and protrude from the exterior abut 3", sort of like

____ top of building facade | | /| interior \\| | ~

"stringcourse" is the closest I can come to it, but this is only for brick, yes?

Any help would be apreciated

Reply to
Charles Bishop

Charles Bishop wrote: ...

Oh, man..._far_ too long since my comparative architecture class days... :) (or, :(, depending I guess...)

But, I don't think there's a differing name for the feature even though it isn't seen nearly as often other than in stone or brick work.

"belt course" is a synonym iirc...

I don't have an architectural dictionary handy and don't know a link (and was too lazy to google :) )...

hth...

--

Reply to
dpb

dpb wrote: ...

Seems like I always think of something not long after a reply... :(

I don't know it's name, but I assume there are usenet groups on architecture that will have folks who'll be bound to know if there's a more specialized name.

--

Reply to
dpb

I don't know of any specific term for that sort of construction, but checking out the classical architecture styles is the place to start. This will get you off on the right foot:

RicodJour

No idea if it was the proper term, but we always called it banding, and everyone seemed to know what that meant. FLW/Prairie Style brought it in to vogue, to tie parts of the house together visually. Detroit picked it up for cars in the 50s.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Banding: