Self Level Concrete Compound

I have a landing area that leads to the front door. It is about 7'x7', about 6" above the driveway, bounded by the front door, two walls on the side and the ceiling.

Right now it has 6"x6" floor tiles on top of 6" of solid concrete. Everything is solid except the floor is not level. It is lower by about 3/8" on one corner near the front door. When we have driving rain (which we do from time to time in Miami summers) the water pond in that corner and I use a push broom to push the water out. Plus my wife does not like the ceramic tiles there now, it's was installed by the previous owner and too slippery. Yet it is solid and not cracking. The front door is another 4" up from the landing area.

I am thinking of using a self level concrete product to even the floor up, then install another layer of tiles (probably slat) on top of it.

What is a good product to use for this application? also is there a minimum thickness? If I just use enough to fill the ponded area? or should I build up at least a 1/2" everywhere?

Thanks,

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

"MiamiCuse" wrote

Exterior to house right?

Door higher as is reasonable in that location and condition.

You will get a smoother look if you do the whole surface. Slope it gently so it is highest at the door and lower at the yard portion. If you do this right, you can tile right over it at the same time with something like a terra cotta tile that wont be slick.

There are many mortors out there, any one of the quick leveling types will work if graded for exterior (which in your area means rain, not the freeze-thaw the rest of us have to account for). If you don't tile it, it wil look pretty ugly but you can get a swatch of outdoor carpet cut to fit and some of them look pretty nice now that they are past just the green fake grass era of them!

Reply to
cshenk

Thanks for the reply cshenk! Pleasr see inline reply.

MC

yes, exterior to house. Exposed to the element, but it is covered by a rood overhang and has two side walls.

That is what I don't understand. If it's self leveling I assume it will seek it's own level, then how to I make it slightly higher on the door side? Do I wait till it's set a little then do something? I can attach a 1x6 piece of plywood on the outside step, that protrude say 3/8" above the current landling elevation, and pour this stuff in. But once it's set, I don't think I can reach the inside being 6' away to do anything, unless I break this into two projects, a left half and a right half.

I plan on tiling it with some terra cotta or slate tiles. The step down to the driveway is also tiled (the vertical face) so I have to tile the horizontal and vertical face.

Reply to
MiamiCuse

You don't. Build up the low area with mortar when you set the tile. It's the right way to do it.

RicodJour

As an aside, you're in FL. Hiring a mason should be pretty cheap and a lot easier. Show them the tile, tell them you want the stoop level at the door, sloped toward the steps and in a flat plane. Then come back when they're done.

RicodJour