Filling between door threshold and tile floor?

The front door in my house leads to a small tile landing. There is a space between the threshold and the tiles, which I believe was filled with grout when the floor was installed. Should I refill this with grout, or something else?

Many thanks for the advice,

-Ben

Reply to
Ben

How large is the space?

Reply to
ythread

1/8 or 1/4"
Reply to
Ben

1/8 or 1/4"

I'd probably use grout but why did the existing grout come out? How did you discover the space? If the grout came out because of movement of the jam it's just going to come out again. You might need to use a harder compound and find a way to nail the jam down. Jams move sometimes because they are not installed properly and cause the grout to crack around them. If the jam moves when you step on it there could be a space underneath that needs to be filled. I'm just guessing from personal experience. Otherwise, if the jam is secure just use grout or any compound. I like to use Household Putty (Bondo) in difficult spots but it can come out too. Another way could be to cover the space with a piece of threshold material.

Reply to
ythread

Grout is good. Silicone caulk is better.

I was going to say caulk but if it's in an area that collects dirt or gets a lot of traffic I would use something else.

Reply to
ythread

If it had been filled with grout, there should still be plenty. Perhaps it was just neglected. We have grout between out tile floors and adjoining terazzo floors with no cracking or crumbling. Sanded grout. Or, if reasonable, a different threshold which bridges the gap.

Reply to
Norminn

I would try to find a silicon grout that matches your sanded grout as they are more forgiving when separated my two different materials. I have no personal experience with them but have seen them used on home improvement show where a tile mosaic met up with a hard wood floor. They apparently have the same colour sand in them and look very much the same as the sanded grout.

I have been in my house for 2 and 1/2 years and still have not filled a few spots on the edges of my door frames where the previous owner tiled around the door frames instead of cutting them off and tiling under them. I have been meaning to look for the very same product for this job.

Reply to
Slightly Graying Wolf