Grout for laundry room floor

Hi, We are preparing to spruce up our laundry room. The room has a tile floor with several areas where the grout has broken up. My assumption is that this is due to the vibration from the washing machine and that the issue will re-occur if I simply repair the situation with standard grout. Even though the best approach would be to remove the tile and replace it with something else, we would like to avoid taking on the mess and effort of this approach. Can anyone recommend a type of grout that would be suitable for use on floor tiles, that would flex enough for use in a laundry room?

Thanks, Stu

Reply to
Stu Pidassle

Hi Stu, I had a similar problem so I spread the load by putting a concrete block (2x2) under the machine. So far so good. It doesnt have to concrete, it depends how much the machine is moving. Hope thisis of some help.

Kindest Regards Mick

Reply to
hobbithopper

It sounds like the tile was placed on a subfloor that is ill-suited to ceramic tile, like a plywood subfloor. You may need to replace the entire floor anyway if you want tile atop it, and use Durock or some other brand concrete board as the sub-floor material. Then use the usual grout, and you will not have the problem.

If the grout is cracking and coming out, then the tile is loose as well. No amount of grouting will fix the problem permanently. You will need to re-tile the floor. This will have to be done properly, and on a floor that doesn't move/vibrate. The rule of thumb is that the plywood base should be at least 1 1/4" thick, then you add the cement board and thin-set mortar and tiles. Yours probably is done the way I see too many TV shows doing it, with glue or thin-set directly onto the plywood subfloor -- a guarantee of failure in the future.

Reply to
EXT

Would this do?

HeyBub

That certainly seems much more promising than the advice I got from the local tile specialty store who suggested that I use extra latex in the grout mix. Thanks to everyone who responded.

Reply to
Stu Pidassle