How did this email get to be delivered to me

See the item below, which is a translated version from the Chinese or whatever original script. It doesn't seem to be any sort of scam or phishing attempt, but I have these before. They don't seem to be email addressed to me, that I can see, but yet they get delivered.

Important notice from au PAY au ID Thank you for using your au ID mobile phone on a regular basis. We have important information for our customers. Click here to continue ====================

  • Please note that you cannot reply to this address.
  • If you have any questions, please contact the following window. <Customers with au contracts>

? Inquiries KDDI Customer Center ?

157 (free) without area code from au mobile phones 0077-7-111 (free) from landline Reception hours: 9: 00-20: 00 (open all year round) <Customers other than au contracts>

? Inquiries KDDI Customer Center ?

Translate this page

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

The "to:" and "from:" addresses you see in the email header don't have to be the same as the "mail from:" and "rcpt to:" commands used to deliver the email.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes, think of what goes with "Dear" and "Yours" inside.

What goes on the envelope need not match.

Reply to
Bob Eager

And its quite common when sending to multiple recipients to address it "to" yourself or some other scratch email address, and then BCC each of the recipients so that the people receiving it don't see the addresses of the other recipients.

Reply to
John Rumm

You don't need to include yourself or a scratch address. There are three people in my club whose email rejects bcc.

Reply to
Dave W

The spammers equivalent of BCC (could even be BBC'd).

It would be a lot easier to answer that question if you included full headers with the post. I expect it has envelope-to pointed at you and from/reply-to pointing at some poor unfortunate who gets any bounces.

Modern headers are voluminous and a surprising fraction contain various SPF fails and error msgs of one sort or another.

Reply to
Martin Brown