Fox wedging

I am currently repairing a door which turned out to be assembled using

*fox wedging* and thought this article might be of interest..

Luckily it came apart without too much hammering!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I remember learning about fox wedging when I did O-level Woodwork in the mid-70s. We may have made a sample joint, I can't remember.

I always loved the idea of it but was never confident enough of getting it right first time...

Thanks for the interesting link.

J^n

Reply to
jkn

I've not heard that name for it before. I've only known the technique as a hidden wedge tenon. Never tried it myself, although I have done wedged through tenons.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Tim Lamb brought next idea :

I remember doing one of those in woodwork at school, but I don't remember any particular name for it.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Yup, I use it on large through tenons like those on exterior gates where you want some really good pull out resistance to counter the swelling and shrinking cycles of the timber. I posted a bit on one previously:

About the only time I recall a blind foxed tenon being "required"[1] was for fitting some bun feet to the bottom of a cabinet with no visible fixings.

[1] in the sense that it was the traditional way, but a straight peg and mortice would have worked plenty well enough!
Reply to
John Rumm

These doors may have a history. Currently fitted to a large garden shed I moved to our then garden around 1980.

Rather tired now but the materials and workmanship way beyond their current use. I suspect they were originally part of a repurposed Orangery from our local stately home. The bulk of the glazed building was used as an antique showroom by our village antiques vendor.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I have used steel fox wedges when I was working as a steelwork engineer many years ago now

Reply to
Rob H

Now re-assembled with copious wood glue.

Reply to
Tim Lamb