repairing mug handle which hasn't (yet) broken off

Hi All A favourite ceramic mug has, I have just noticed, got a crack/break where the lower end of the handle joins the base.

I'd like to repair it - but at the moment there is a crack only, ie. I can't easily apply epoxy or similar to the whole broken surface.

Worth trying to eg. rely on the capillary action of superglue? or maybe even breaking off the handle so I can do a 'proper' mend with epoxy? Thoughts please.

Ta Jon N

Reply to
jkn

epoxy softens when hot

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Superglue will normally capillary flow into the gap with a bit of very careful flexing.

Reply to
Capitol

Don't use bostic like I did. Ended up scalding my bollocks.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Years ago, it was possible to get a very low viscosity glue for repairing cracks in windows, greenhouse panes etc. The glue was drawn into the crack by capillary action. Don't know if anything similar is still available, but you might think about windscreen repair kits.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

It is however somewhat water soluble which isn't ideal. Thin slow epoxy in used the narrow time when it is mobile might be a decent choice. You may have to wait for the handle to fail before it is repairable.

Reply to
Martin Brown

That explains a lot...

J^n

Reply to
jkn

And stopped the organ from operating?

Reply to
Bob Eager

This is interesting and some bits will be relevant:

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

In article , jkn writes

Forget it, there is nothing that will restore it in any way close to the strength and durability of the original material and that is what is required at that most highly stressed part of the mug.

Consider burial or perhaps ritual crushing instead for closure and move on.

Reply to
fred

Thank you, that's very interesting.

I like the idea of using a razor blade to widen the crack - without that I doubt anything would get into the crack in its current state.

I am a keen proponent of heating epoxy to make it thinner/set quicker; not sure if it will be thin _enough_ in this case. Perhaps I shall try thia approach with a trial run ...

Cheers Jon N

Reply to
jkn

I've been there a few times.

My view is always: will it be containing scalding hot liquids above my body at some point? If yes (cup when drinking, casserole dish while carrying from oven), I just chuck it; otherwise I try to mend it.

A cup of tea is surprisingly hot, and not something you want in your lap. So maybe time to retire that favourite mug to windowsill duty only.

Reply to
Caecilius

Could it be that the glaze has a hairline crack but still sound underneath? Is a risk you take in scalding yourself.

Reply to
ss

I crack em off and repair with epoxy: The difference is that I bake the glue in an oven at 100C or so while it sets. araldite set like that does NOT soften when hot. Or at least it is glass hard when its cold so a bit of heat merely makes it very tough.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If it really must remain in use due for sentimental reasons then do what is done with some old buildings and ancient trees and put some external support around it. Many coffee cafetiere are not much more than a laboratory glass beaker in a metal frame with a handle, charity shops often seem to have some. Find one where the diameter of the glass is close to your mug and use the frame to support it, repurpose or throw the glass beaker away.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Sadly, I would say simply bin it. Its difficult to do any repair that is trustworthy IMHO, and the penalty for it failing could be high.

Reply to
John Rumm

How do you hold the piece in place while you do this - just gravity?

J^n

Reply to
jkn

If possible yes. or use masking tape

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , John Rumm writes

I have repaired mug handles in the past, but then not been brave enough to actually use them. I just have this vision of the repair failing when the mug is about an inch below my mouth, and hot tea going everywhere, including all over me.

Reply to
News

You might want to wait tillit comes off, but sometimes its shrinkage of the glaze that makes it look like a crack. One also needs to know if it was made traditionally, ie was the handle glued on using slip or something at fireing time. the internal stresses eventually do make these things fail at the weakest point. Maybe you need to talk to some restorers of ancient articfacts, as I never had much luck with glues. They tend not to stand up to the heating and cooling and cleaning very well. Of course most artifacts are not in daily use, so it might be that you need to turn it into an exhibit, and get a new daily use mug. Some small potteries might make you one I suppose. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff