Repairing broken china

I would like to do as seamless a repair as possible of a broken plate of fine (bone) china (made by Lenox).

The pieces all fit together seamlessly.

I tried using cyanocrylate (from Rockler) but it failed to hold. I tried using different types of cyanocrylate (CA) including the thick, flexible and media types. I tried putting the glue on just one side of the crack and also on both sides. I tried wetting one side with water. However, even after holding in place for 1-2 minutes, there was zero adhesion.

- Is china just too porous to bond with CA? (I haven't had the problem before with less "fine" china)?

- Could the CA be too old? (it is about 2 years old but still seems to work just fine on glass and wood)

- Do I need to hold it together for longer? (although CA usually bonds strongly for me within 30 seconds and these joints had zero adhesion after 1-2 minutes)

- Is CA accelerator necessary? (again I haven't found it necessary in the past though it does speed up bonding)

Alternatively, is there a better glue to use? (I had preferred CA since it is clear and usually gives almmost no joint line) If so, what glues would you recommend?

Reply to
blueman

Hi, There are trained professionals who do such repair. One of my friend does that. He went to England for training. Ask around where you live.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

What does Lenox say when you ask? "Live Help" is offered at

Don Phillipson

epoxy. you only get one chance at it though so get it right the first time

Reply to
charlie

{snip}

Epoxy.

RicodJour

Believe it or not--what has worked for me countless of times, on many odd repairs, including tile is Phenoseal adhesive caulking. It has been successful where epoxy failed to do the job. It comes in translucent as well as white. In Home Depot or Lowes. MLD

Reply to
MLD

Eposy takes space, in all its forms afaik. So I don't see how the pieces would fit together seemlessly after epoxee, or caulk, is used.

Though this would be a bigger problem if there are more than two pieces.

thought white glue, elmers glue, was supposed to be used for china. It's good for porous stuff. I don't know if what you've done has left an imporous coating on part of it.

I've never successfully glued anything with CA. It doesn't even stick to my fingers. And there is no such thing as one glue glues all.

Reply to
mm