repairing leak in pressure washer handle?

I have a jobmate pressure washer which has developed a hairline crack in the shaft just after the trigger handle. It sprays water and therefore loses pressure when using it.

The crack is about 2" long and the handle is made of some sort of hard plastic.

I was wondering about how to repair it?

I was considering a piece of metal rounded to fit the curvature of the rod where it is cracked and then maybe JB weld and hose clamps.

But I was then wondering if perhaps there is some sort of adhesive which would actually dissolve and bond the two surfaces, or something better than JB weld.

Any ideas on this one?

thanks!

Reply to
BSAKing

I have a jobmate pressure washer which has developed a hairline crack in the shaft just after the trigger handle. It sprays water and therefore loses pressure when using it.

The crack is about 2" long and the handle is made of some sort of hard plastic.

I was wondering about how to repair it?

I was considering a piece of metal rounded to fit the curvature of the rod where it is cracked and then maybe JB weld and hose clamps.

But I was then wondering if perhaps there is some sort of adhesive which would actually dissolve and bond the two surfaces, or something better than JB weld.

Any ideas on this one?

thanks!

Reply to
BSAKing

It's hard enough to successfully repair a crack in regular plumbing. If your part is cracked, it is unlikely there is anything you can do that will make it stronger than it was when new. The plastic is either stress fatigued, enbrittled from sun exposure or some such thing. It will probably continue to crack no matter what you do.

If I had to do it, I'd probably try a few wraps of fiberglass cloth saturated with epoxy resin. Wrap it when done with plastic wrap to give a smooth finish and contain the mess untill cured. Sand the surface first for grip.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

Its over 1000lb? so maybe nothing but JB weld did my radiator

Reply to
ransley

???

Reply to
Bob F

It is rated at 1500 PSI. I tried just a jb weld patch and it blew off.

Reply to
BSAKing

Time to buy a replacement.

Reply to
Abe

You may be correct, but I'll try the fiberglass or metal wrap and hose clamps first. It is only cracked because it got dropped on the cement.

Reply to
BSAKing

My guess is there is nothing that will work. It may be cheaper to buy an entire new pressure washer.

When I decided I needed a pressure washer, I bought a used Craftsman electric from Ebay. The sprayer orifice was missing from the wand. Sears Parts didn't list it, and the folks at the Sears store had never heard of an electric Craftsman. Musta been stone age equipment?

I got a new hose for $70 or so at Lowe's, and then find out that the high pressure cut off switch on the Craftsman was bad.

Back online, and bought a Campvell Hausfield washer. I was able to o some work with this PW, and made a few bucks with it. And then the high pressure houssing cracked. It was black plastic much as you describe.

I went on a search to find a useable presure washer. Finally ended up at Home Depot, they had the only one which had a metal housing for the high pressure. By this time, I'd spent about $200 plus on parts that didnt end up working. And so I spent another $100 which is what I ought have done in the first place.

I still have the one from Home Depot, and am still pleased with it. I use it now and again, and it has made me more money.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've had the Husky from HD for 4 years now. Learned the first year to bring it inside during the winter. (Leak in handle.)

Other than that, no problems.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Using the piece of metal, with the glue only above it and not below it iiuc, seems to me likely to make it work less well.

Also PC70 might be stronger than JB weld. JB weld is too liquid. With PC70 you can wrap a big piece all the way around the item. Make sure everyting is dry, although were it not for the high water pressure, PC70 will stick to wet surfaces, if it is kept there or repeatedly pushed back on until it sets.

Reply to
mm