Steam Radiator Repair - Epoxy

Want to see how I've expoxied a cracked radiator?

http://209.197.228.45/~podjars/rad.htm What do you think? Will it hold?

MS

Reply to
Michael Stoic

I doubt it. The metal will expand and contract and there is pressure on the epoxy. Might buy you a few days, but welding is the proper cure.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Call it weld if you like, but I think brazing would be the proper term.

Suggest the OP might try asking in < rec.crafts.metalworking > if his epoxy repair fails.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Epoxy , no , Solder mayby , Brazing - welding yes

Reply to
m Ransley

The time spent on Dan's site can be a lot better than asking here.

Your answer is about 3/4's of the way down.

Reply to
HeatMan

No. Brazing might be better, welding with nickel rod will work best and is much faster to do. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

there's lots of different types of epoxy. i'd use marinetex if i had to use epoxy, which is good enough to use on engine manifolds.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

But an engine manifold has a vacuum, not pressure. This says it is for dry environments.

to what temperature can Marine-Tex be used?

Depends on pressure and conditions, up to 250°F constant temperature, spikes up to 300-325°F in dry environments.

This is not suitable either because of temperature.

Can I apply FlexSet to a repair that is submerged in water? Yes. FlexSet has an amazing ability to almost push the water aside so that it bonds directly to the repair surface. The attraction of the FlexSet to the repair area increases as the material reaches full cure (24 hours in

72°F)

What temperatures can FlexSet withstand? Once fully cured, FlexSet can withstand temperatures from -40°F to 100°F.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I don't mean to argue, I was just wondering.

However, I once repaired the water jacket in an aluminum manifold, during wintertime and while the manifold was on the car. The crack was on a rounded section and appeared to curve out of sight. JB Weld held and the leak was gone for as long as I owned the car. Just a story, from personal experience.

The radiator is now connected and I am going to observe it for a few days. Who knows...

MS

Reply to
Michael Stoic

Yeah, right. I'd like to see you weld cast iron.

Idiot.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Thanks for proving my point!

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

No, I proved it can be welded, albeit with some care needed, You sait NO.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski