Lutron Dimmer Burned Out?

Hi,
I have Lutron MAW-600 dimmer I installed many years ago using incandescent lights in my kitchen light. I just switched to dimming compact fluorescent bulbs and the switch shortly after stopped working. The MAW-600 LED light does not light up so did I blow it? Are there special dimmers for CFL's?
TIA, Dan

I have several in my current house and had a bunch in my last house - Two possibilities:
1) You bumped the little "off" switch on it.
2) You broke the "tap bar" which is a little internal plastic part that the dimmer needs to function.
I'd bet on (1)
JK
Big_Jake wrote:

It is not the OFF switch. And the Tap bar has always worked. The LED does not light up so I think a circuit blew?
On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 20:40:09 -0500, Dan wrote:

There are different dimmers for reactive/non-reactive/non-inductive loads. Dimmers designed for incandescent lighting don't work well with CFLs.

Did you try it again with a real lightbulb? (none of that hippie communist stuff)

Re: Lutron Dimmer Burned Out? Group: alt.home.repair Date: Thu, Jun 21, 2007, 1:49am From: snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com (mm) Did you try it again with a real lightbulb? (none of that hippie communist stuff)
LMAO..My sentitments exactly..
Dan wrote:
... Are there

... No, there are not special dimmers for CFL's, but there are special CFL's for dimmers. Most CFL's are not designed to work with dimmers.
On 6/21/07 4:58 PM, M Q wrote:

The CFL's are marked dimmer lights but it says they may not with all dimmer switches. What dimmer switch should I buy? I thought Lutron mentioned on their website that they made special dimmer switches for cfl's, but can't find it now.
Dan
You can write to Lutron and ask them to replace the switch (though I suppose they'll ask you to promise not to try it on CFLs again). They're pretty good about doing that.
Mailing Address: Customer Service Lutron Electronics Company Co., Inc. 7200 Suter Road Coopersburg, PA 18036
Phone Number: 1-(888) LUTRON1
Fax Number: (610) 282-3090
E-Mail Address: E-Mail: snipped-for-privacy@lutron.com

replying to Dan, Marty wrote: Hey Dan. I would gladly take any defective dimmers you have. Awaiting your reply .....
On Wednesday, June 20, 2007 at 8:40:09 PM UTC-5, Dan wrote:

I hope after 9 years he has things figured out..................
replying to Dan, Marty wrote: Dan: I am looking for burnt/fried Lutron Maestro-style dimmers for parts. I will pay the shipping. TIA
On Thu, 15 Dec 2016 13:44:01 +0000, Marty

For the cost of me shipping you a working one you can buy a new one locally. Repairing them would be a real crapshoot. And they DO make special dimmers which I believe work better for CFs etc. One triggers on the rising voltage, the other on the dropping voltage - so one ramps up and turns off hard, the other turns on hard and ramps down (sign wave). Google reverse phase control - designed for use with low voltage lighting with electronic transformers so likely better for electronic ballasted CFs as well.
replying to clare, Marty wrote: My Lutron Maestro dimmers are breaking mechanically. I want fried/burnt units for the mechanical parts.
On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 20:44:01 +0000, Marty

All I can say is "good luck" They aren't worth enough for it to make sense for me to try to fix one - and I don't throw away ANYTHING that makes ANY sense to fix.
This is a 9 year old post, hopefully he has replaced the dimmers by now.
snipped-for-privacy@att.net posted for all of us...

He had one hooked up to his computer so it left him in the dark.
--
Tekkie