Possible new email swindle?

I've not come across this one before....

My best guess is you respond and then they start to ask you for money to forward your application.

TRANSAERO RECRUITMENT CONSULTANT Address: Kristian Augusts Gate 4A 0120 Oslo Norway.

ATTN: Sir.

Subject: Trinidad and Tobago ExxonMobil Corporation

You are hereby notified that your qualifications and experiences were found suitable for the requirements of Trinidad and Tobago ExxonMobil Corporation.

For verification and screening, you are to submit your most recent resumes through our e-mail with reference.

Total Years of Experience:- Current Salary per Month in $:- Years of experience in Oil & Gas companies:-

Best regards, Transaero Recruitment Consultant.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield :

Why on earth would anybody give that more than half a second's consideration before deleting it?

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Mike Barnes has brought this to us :

Indeed, but people do fall for them.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Old grannies do

But I can's see an old granny falling for this.

Does anyone with appropriate skills ever fall for it?

tim

Reply to
tim.....

on 09/09/2013, tim..... supposed :

Obviously enough do, or they would find no value in sending these out.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

1/. it costs next to nothing to send them out. 2/. they may well be something other than what they appear tobe. I have long considered the use of apparent spam emails as a cunning way to send encrypted messages.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It might not cost anything, but to make it worth while, there has to be a return.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

More to the point, given the massive number of variations on the same theme, is there any point in cluttering up newsgroups with such warnings? I'm sure it's well intentioned Harry but if everyone starts posting scam email warnings to usenet the value of this group as a source of DIY info would be seriously affected.

If it was genuinely novel *and convincing* then I'd agree that it might be worth sharing a warning but an unsolicited overseas job offer doesn't fall into that category IMO.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Yes, its so targetted how on earth could they find the right folk to send it to. Are you sure its not just anouther way to get folks email addresses to sell on as a list of known good ones. Not that that matters these days really. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

[spam snipped]

You mean before marking it as spam.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Why would it get through the spam filter?

Reply to
dennis

It is so far as I could make out an entirely new theme, there was nothing I could see about such a ploy on the internet.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

They're asking for a CV, so if you send it you've parted with a lot of personal information, which is extremely foolish unless you trust the people you're sending it to.

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

Looks genuine enough to me. I'll forward it to my mate for verification. He'll know, as he is the Minister of Oil in Nigeria. In fact it's only a matter of time before I become incredibly rich as he should have all my bank details by now.

mark

Reply to
mark

Tim Streater :

I don't, actually.

And ITYM *after* marking it as spam. :-)

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Probably not but they almost certainly aren't after you to fill a job, they just want (bits of) your identity... Bung the chunks in a database and mine it for links than connect various chunks together.

I'm pondering about a "marketing" one I got titled "JOHNNIE WALKER

-Seeking Car Advert- Make extra income". Basically $500/week (dollars) if you agree to have your car "auto wrapped" with an advert for JOHNNIE WALKER for at least a month. No upfront payment, indeed they send you $300 up front by cheque. They do want name, address, car details, phone numbers...

The header doesn't give anything away just one step before it reaches the machine that talked to mine. Bear in mind if two bits of spam make it to my in box in a week that's a lot of spam, most gets rejected at the SMTP level by one means or another.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I get a lot of spam claiming to be from well-known institutions and organisations. I find that the easiest way to check those out is to hover the mouse over the return link. In Windows Mail at least, this generates the complete address, which of course is never (so far) really that of the bank or company or whatever that it pupports to be.

Reply to
Bert Coules

No, because once I've marked it as spam it vanishes off the the spam folder.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Tim Streater :

Ah I get you now - you meant that I meant half a second's consideration before marking it as spam; I read it as deleting it before marking it as spam, and I'm sure you can see why that didn't make any sense.

Forgive my misunderstanding; in my world there is no spam folder, there is no facility to mark a message as spam, and there is no spam to speak of.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

I have 571 spam messages dating back to end of March this year. It only goes that far back because when I wrote my email client, in addition to implementing a spam filter I added code such that the user can configure a time period after which spam gets moved from the spam folder to the Trash.

There's always going to be spam, because there's always going to be people sending you mails you don't want. Only some of these will be "classical spam", such a dick-enhancers, swiss watches and the like. Some of the stuff I consider spam, you may well be avidly waiting for, and vice versa. Thass why a spam filter, to be any good, has to be trainable by the user, not the ISP.

Reply to
Tim Streater