wiring across joists

Per NEC, can romex wiring be run across the faces of ceiling joists (stapled to the faces) if a suspended ceiling will be installed? (or do I have to run between joists and drill through as needed?)

Thanks

Reply to
JC

It totally depends on your local by-law office rules.

Ours allows stapling wires under the joists as long as a 1" X 4" board is nailed parallel to the wires to 'protect' them. I have no idea what protection this gives - I would have thought they would require a wooden box (or metal raceway) type barrier to 'protect' the wires.

I was once told by the local building inspector that the purpose of the 1" X 4" board was to prevent you from hanging anything on the exxposed wires. This was only a requirement if a permanent ceiling (drywall) was not going to be installed immediately. (This was in a basement of a new house that I had the builder prewire so that I could finsish it in the future). He insisted that it was guaranteed that me (or my wife) would eventually hang something (like a coat hanger) on the wires for expediency. Seemed pretty anal to me at the time but it didn't take much effort for the builder to nail up some scrap siding and the inspector was happy.

After he left the builder (30 yrs. experience) muttered, "that guy was flipping hamburgers three weeks ago and now he's telling me how to do construction".

Jim

Reply to
ChiliJim

My scared book sayeth:

"Exposed Romex cable smaller than 8AWG if three-conductor or smaller than

6AWG if two-conductor running across joists in unfinished basements must either be run through holes in joists or on running boards (see 334.15(C) in 2002 NEC)."

EJ

Reply to
EJ

J > Per NEC, can romex wiring be run across the faces of ceiling joists (staple

J > to the faces) if a suspended ceiling will be installed? (or do I have to J > run between joists and drill through as needed?)

Didn't see any responses as of my replying. I believe the correct answer is wiring goes through holes regardless of suspended ceiling or not. I think this goes for communications and low-voltage wire also. (I got a ding on my wiring because of surface attachment when the electrician updated the service panel for the addition here, otherwise he and the city inspector were happy.)

  • OLD FOLKS' PARTY GAMES: Spin the Bottle of Mylanta
Reply to
barry martin

Drill a hole through the center of each joist.

Reply to
Phisherman

NO, you cannot staple perpendicular to joists.

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

was suppose to be temporary(2 years). I wanted to staple the wires on the bottom of the ceiling joist. AT first they said I had to drill the joist, then I got them to let me run it over the top of the ceiling joist. Anyway when I get through there will be 4" wireway around the perimeter of the shop with all wiring done from there.

Reply to
Jimmy

When you wire a shop, laboratory, or modern office that kind of approach is the way to go. I have installed perimeter raceway in those occupancies as well as in museums and historic homes. The raceway is available in a cross sectional dimension that lends itself to being installed in place of baseboards so that you can have any outlet at any point along the wall line. If I should ever have a custom home built I think I may install it in every room.

-- Tom H

Reply to
Tom Horne