NEC basement bathroom wiring

I'm finishing my basement and trying to do everything by the book for the obvious safety/liability reasons. I have read some previous posts regarding bathroom circuits, and I think I understand what I can and can't do wrt '96 NEC.

However, I haven't found any threads on the subject since the '02 NEC release, and I want to make sure I'm going to be in compliance. Since the thought of reading the actual document gives me the willies, I decided to see if there are any electricians lurking who would respond.

I'm planning on running one 20-amp circuit for 2 bathroom outlets and the fan. Wire from the breaker to a GFCI outlet, then to another outlet, then to the switch, and on up to the fan. I'm planning on wiring the bathroom lights on a different 20-amp circuit (the adjacent bedroom). Is this up to '02 NEC code?

Many thanks to all who take the time to reply!

Mike

Reply to
Mike Haverdink

As far as I can tell, it sounds legal and safe, but I'm no electrician. However, I'd rather not put the fan onto GFI-protected segment of the circuit for convenience reasons. The more junk you add, the more likely to trip, and you don't gain in safety unless exhaust fan happens to be inside shower or bathtub enclosure. I'd GFI protect just the two bathroom receptacles.

(BTW, in my town you can DIY with a permit and inspection, which should eliminate safety/liability issues.)

George Elkins

Reply to
George Elkins

As long as the circuit goes to just one bathroom, you can put lights and fans on the outlet circuit; but why would you want to? As long as you are running two circuits to the bathroom, why not put the fan on the lighting circuit? If not that, then at least take it from the first outlet before the GFCI.

You didn't ask about the bedroom. Is it new? If so, you will need an AFCI breaker for it. Even if it isn't new, the fact that you are extending the circuit might require one.

Reply to
Toller

I was thinking of putting the fan directly above the shower, and I thought that it needed to be GFCI protected. But I may keep it outside of the shower, in which case I would probably wire it separately from the GFCI.

It sounds like I should have been asking about the bedroom. :)

I am actually putting in 2 bedrooms, 1 bath, and a family room (with wet bar). I am tentatively planning the following circuits, all new:

  1. Bath outlets (20A, GFCI)
  2. Bedroom 1 outlets, lights, bath light (20A)
  3. Bedroom 2 outlets, lights (20A)
  4. Family room lights 1 (15A)
  5. Family room lights 2 (15A)
  6. Family room outlets 1 (20A)
  7. Family room outlets 2 (20A)
  8. Wet bar outlets (20A, GFCI)

So it sounds like I need AFCI breakers for circuits 2 and 3. Are AFCI breakers required for any of the other circuits?

I am also considering a small refrigerator (maybe 3'-4' high) and small microwave in the wet bar area. Do either or both of these need to be on separate circuits?

Mike

Reply to
Mike Haverdink