Moving Gasoline, LPG across States Line.

We are planning to move from the Midwest to a Western State, is it against the law transporting gasoline, LPG or propane across States lines? How about 3 gallons of gas for emergency roadside use, one or two small full propane canisters and two empty 20 lbs. LPG tanks.

Thank you for the informations.

Reply to
Jack CC

Retired ole folks drive RVs across state lines all the time. The ones that survive do not get hit by a speeding train. "My doctor says I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber, and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Reply to
Oren

The quantities you say are perfectly fine to transport as long as you do it safely in the first place.

I don't think I would store a gas can in an enclosed trailer for example or even in the passenger compartment of your car but any other ventilated spot like an open trailer would be fine.

LP is more tightly sealed, as long as it don't get too hot or banged around, it is quite safe to transport.

Reply to
PipeDown

And is also under pressure and will quickly fill an enclosed area if a valve leaks etc. Thats why the RVs carry the tank on the outside.

Reply to
George

If you can drive over a state border without draining and refilling your fuel tank then you should be able to do the same with a gas can.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Transport of LPG through tunnels is usually prohibited. I have kinfolk who travel the route from New England to Florida in their camper and when they have LPG they must not use the tunnels in Baltimore and other places.

Bob

Reply to
RobertM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and comments. I really appreciate it.

Safety and not breaking any laws are my main concern. We are very selective in what to bring along, no furniture, except clothing's, bares essential and some small woodworking power and hand tools, numerous boxes of odd and ends. It's really heart breaking to sell the woodworking machineries.

Anyone experiences in truck rental? I am looking at U-Haul 14' or 17' truck and not sure they're one-way.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Jack CC

Hmmm... I suspect that this says something about where you live if you think that you need to ask permission before putting something in your own vehicle...

FYI: The RV trailers have LPG tanks usually mounted on the front of the trailer / trailer tongue... When I go across country in my Jeep, I carry about 15-20 gallons on my roof rack since some of the places that you travel through either have very expensive fuel or the stations are so few and far apart that it's nice to have options... In my truck, I'm likely to have a 55 gallon drum in the back, just in case... It gives me quite a few more options on refueling... I can refuel it when I encounter cheaper gas and refuel from it when I'm in an area that is overpriced...

Reply to
Grumman-581

Absolutely true.

Reply to
gfretwell

Then Kalifornia is the right place for you... Please stay out of Texas, we don't want your kind here... We believe that people should be responsible for their own actions and the govenment shouldn't be telling you what to do...

Perhaps try

Duhhh....

Click on "Rates and reservations", then click on "One-way move", then fill out the information... Easy enough that even a Democrat could probably do it...

Assuming Chicago to Los Angeles, it comes back with a price of $651 for the 14 ft truck and $693 for the 17 ft one... On the other hand, you could just rent the 25 ft one for $946 and perhaps not have to sell your workshop equipment...

Reply to
Grumman-581

Huh? Texans don't believe that gov't shouldn't be telling your what to do? Texan are the biggest group of "tell you what to do-ers" I've ever seen !!!

Ever heard of anyone named Bush? Have a family like mine Keep the Mexicans out. Be born again Don't have an abortion Don't have sex Don't take drugs ... (but it was okay for W) Take off your shoes at the airport Evacuate New Orleans (oops, wait a minute, that's the one thing they didn't say) etc.

And of course there's "... stay out of Texas, we don't want your kind here" and "try

Duhhh..."

big deficits. Look at the national debt under the Bushes.

Reply to
Pat

You may be thinking of the rules of moving companies. After I had packed, in fact the very day of the move, when the truck was almost fully loaded, the owner of the moving van I had hired told me that not only couldn't I put gasoline in his truck, I couldn't put any aerosol cans at all either. I'm sure he didn't say that earlier, and I'm just glad I had sense enough to lie (which is not what I normally do, but we would have had to go through dozens of boxes looking for aerosol paint and deoderant and shaving cream and kitchen stuff and propane.) It was middle May and not hot. They finished loading at about 8PM and started unloading at about 10AM after a 4 hour drive.

Anyhow, federal law prohibits moving vans from taking any of this stuff across state lines, and maybe that's what you got you thinking about this.

P&M, reply by post

Reply to
mm

Crossing state lines is not much of an issue as long as you us certified canisters. Some bridges and tunnels do not allow it so yo may need to plan detours to avoid them

--

1crazygirl
Reply to

DOT prevents it from being handled at all, not just crossing state lines. In a car or pickup, you are allowed a maximum number of propane tanks too, but I forget the amount, maybe 3 or 4.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

U-Haul, Ryder and several others are ALL in the ONE WAY long distance truck rental market.

Reply to
Robert Gammon

U-haul is usually one-way and will probably be the cheapest rental. As others have suggested,

is the logical place to start. Be warned, I've driven multiple Uhauls and the vast majority of them are uncomfortable, not well-cared for, and many even fall into the dangerous category. I've rented Penske one way before, and thought it was well worth the extra cost. The trucks are relatively new, have diesel engines, and are well maintained.

Reply to
louie

and

Online booking for truck rentals is not the way to go. You can _always_ get a better rate by calling around your local area.

RicodJour

We used a U-Haul to move our office. As soon as we loaded the truck and tried to start it, it wouldn't start. Turned out the prevoius renter had filled the desel tank with regular gas. We had enough in the fuel line to get from the lot to the office but after that it was dead dead.

If it had been a long move, U-Haul would have moved all the stuff into a new truck for us, instead we just had it towed the 5 miles to the new office and unloaded it there and let them come back for it the next day with the tow truck again.

Moral: Crappy truck, good service

Another time, I rented a truck and returned the key and the contract through the slot in the door when done as instructed. A bad employee used the CC# on the contract to rent his friend another truck for a week and when the bill showed up on my credit card, it took two weeks to get a refund. But they did make good and filled a propane tank for me for free to make up for the trouble. I did remind them that it was illegal to print the entire CC# on a reciept but I don't know if they changed the computer to match. Fortunately the thief didn't use it anywhere else, I did get a new card just in case

Moral: Return the key, keep the paperwork

Reply to
PipeDown

Yes, we are heading for Kalifornia, I guess most Liberals are law-abiding citizens and I do take the time find out what is legal and what is not. Ignorance of the law is no excuse. You might be glad to know we will be traveling by way of Denver, skipping Texas not be 'cuz of you, but GAS is EXPENSIVE!

Thanks for the information I appreciate it. Have agood day.

Reply to
Jack CC