Moving / Packing 14" bandsaw across country

I'm moving across country. I'm just curious what woodworkers here might think is the best way to move and pack a 14" delta band saw? Sure would be nice if I could get the packing from Delta. Would you take it apart for a

2000 mile move? I think it is really too heavy by itself. But maybe I could lay it down in one of those shipping crates. Any ideas?
Reply to
Grant

I would remove the "saw" from the motor cabinet / base and crate them individually. The table could be padded and safely packed with the base.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Definitely take the table off the saw and move it separately. It's far too easy for someone to grab the table to move the saw and break your trunnions in the process. Taking the table off also reduces the footprint of the saw.

If you're having a moving company do your move, give them a call. I'd expect they'd put the saw against a wall of the truck and lash it in place, but they'd know better. If I was renting a moving truck and doing the job myself this is how I'd do it. Just use an appliance dolly to wheel the bandsaw onto the truck.

Good luck,

Tim

Reply to
tim124c41

Having been in the military for 20 years I had the fine opportunity to move a dozen times or more. Take it apart yourself. Never trust a moving company to "know what they are doing". Most packers are just kids who are temp labor. (note I say most). Contact Delta and see what they say. They ship their products everyday hence they would know the best way to move it. I take all my tools and break them dowm before each move. Bag small parts and take lots of pictures so I know how to put them back together at the other end. Also, hopefully you kept the original manuals that detail assembly. They will come in handy. Rule of thumb, If you didn't pack it don't expect it to make it undamaged. Sad but true. Been there, done that, got a box full of moving t-shirts. My 2 cents FWIW. Rich

Reply to
Rich

Grant,

I just got a new 14" Delta Bandsaw ......still in the crate. Where do you live? I am in Indiana. You sure could have all the packaging. Just do not know if it would be worth the shipping?

Mike from American Sycamore

Reply to
mike from American Sycamore

"mike from American Sycamore" > Grant,> I just got a new 14" Delta Bandsaw ......still in the crate. Where do> you live? I am in Indiana. You sure could have all the packaging.> Just do not know if it ould be worth the shipping?> Mike from American Sycamore>

First off, thanks to all for the replies. It helps. I've got other tools like a contractors saw and standing drill press that I'm not sure are worth the cost to move though, especially since I'd like to get a cabinet tablesaw. The Band saw is the USA made $800+ version from about 5yrs ago which I think would be worth the effort to not have to replace.

Mike, I'd be interested. But you are a bit far off, I'm in CA. My saw is like the 28-248 they sell now. I'm sure mine would fit in a box like that. Anyone in CA with a box email me at "vanbokklen AT yahoo . com." Thanks!

Reply to
Grant

Maybe you could stop by a local wood tool shop, and see if they've got any extra packing boxes? Or put up an ad at the counter, saying you'll take away someone's material or something... I know when I bought my saw, the boxes and styrofoam got left out on the driveway till SWMBO was obeyed... Would have been nice to have someone offer to pick them up. :)

Reply to
Clint

Why not make a crate for it and use the holes the saw bolts to the base to bolt it to the crate. Then put bracing into it as needed to keep it still inside. The rest can be packed as needed. That's pretty much how I recall that Delta packs it in a box.

Reply to
George Max

Did you try the local dealer?

They MIGHT have a box from a floor demo.

Reply to
Ba r r y