Moisture on inside of windows

I get allot of moisture on the inside of my windows, near the bottom of the window sash. when the temp drops below 25 degs.

There is no air leaking in that I can feel. The windows are wood. ( Windsor ) brand.

The humidity in the house is low. Example outside temp 25 degs, indoor humidity 28 %.

The windows are double pain glass, with a air 3/4 inch barrier between them which is sealed.

The glass feels cold inside, I think its just a case of warm air meets cold air and the sweating begins.

Any ideas/

Thanks Tom

Reply to
tflfb

if the glass is cold on the inside and the house is heated its got to be the moisture thats inside the house thats condensing that you see. just like a cold glass of water outside in the summer heat... its gonna sweat....... why is the glass cold on the inside if its insulated glass?? thats the question????

Reply to
jim

Glass is a poor insulator. Adding another layer, using argon gas, non-metallic spacers, etc. helps to increase the insulating value but it is still nowhere near your wall insulation value (assuming your wall is insulated).

So what happens is the warm inside air hits the (relative to the walls) cold window glass & the air starts to cool. As it does the moisture in the inside air condenses out - onto the window glass.

Some people will use a fan to blow inside air over the window glass to pick up the moisture & keep the window dry. This works - but costs you electricity & is somewhat noisy.

For around $5 you can pick up a plastic film window insulating kit from your local hardware store & put it on the window - your problems will ... disappear. Might as well put it on your other windows at the same time as the moisture is going to look for the 'coldest' spot to condense on & once you do that window it will be looking for the next coldest window.

I tried closing the mini blinds at night with them all the way down, this has helped .Usually they are down but, not all the way, so I removed the crank from the casement windows so they would go all the way down.

Thanks Tom

Reply to
tflfb

Blinds block air circulation over the glass surface which is part of your problem. mk

Reply to
mike korenchuk