Moisture

We had our windows replaced 3 months ago..It's winter and cold..is it normal for Frost to form on the inside of the Windows

Reply to
TD90

In general, no. But it depends on how cold it is outside, how wll the windows insulate, and the temp and humidity inside. Usually this happens if the humidity inside is too high. The colder it gets outside, the lower you want the humidity inside. No more than 50% if it's moderate out, going down to maybe 25% if it's 10F outside. You can find charts online. Also this happens in bathrooms, kitchens, more frequently, because humidity is higher there. If it happens in spots like that after a bath, etc, no big deal. It should not be happening in most of the house.

Reply to
trader_4

Maybe I spent too much time in computer room design but you never want the RH below 50%. Bad things start happening to your electronics. (ESD).

Reply to
gfretwell

Depends on what you have. Single or double pane? Storm windows? Metal frames? Frost on the glass or frame?

If you live in a cold climate you should have a good double pane window and you will never see condensation.

What do you have? What state are you in?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Also depends on the humidity level inside the home.

Reply to
Hawk

It is if the humidity indoors is too high

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Even with triple glazed you can get condensation if you have 60+% RH and it's -30 out. Mabee even a bit of frost or ice

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Depends almost entirely on humidity inside the house

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Kept my house at 40% to 50% and we had temperatures to about -5 with no problems. My first house did though with old windows. Of course, the OP asked a question and never returned.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Now you have to get used to the condensation on the outside of the windows. ;-)

Reply to
gfretwell

Had a bit

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Not as much with double or triple pane glass windows. Having a well insulated window and higher humidity in the home won't produce as much moisture/condensation than with the same humidity and lower insulated glass.

Reply to
Hawk

It's all about temperature, relative humidity and dew point.

Any interior surface of the building that drops below dew point will cause water to condense.

Dusty

It still all boils down to humidity.

Actually, to dew point and glass temperature - but the dew point is STILL relative humidity. If the humidity is low enough you won't get condensation on a single pane window at -40.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I agree. I was implying in a higher humidity home, there would be less or no condensation on a double or triple pane glass opposed to a single pane. But overall, with low humidity, it won't show up as you stated.

Reply to
Hawk