Subject Author Posted Replies

Rockwool batts, compressibility.
50mm batts in a 45mm space, plsterboard over, possible?
2
2

OT Converting VHS videos to digital on Linux
Hi all I have a load of old VHS videos (cassettes and camera tapes) which I am looking to digitise. Amazingly the old camera and VHS recorder still work and I have an old tuner / video capture card...
10
10

Gripping attachment for cable draw kit?
I'm trying to figure out a way to retrieve a magnetic geocache that's about 3 m above ground level over a canal towpath --- and put it back securely without dropping it in the canal. The cache appears...
18
18

B&Q Boo-boo
I ordered a pair of bathroom ceiling lights from B&Q, for Click and Collect. After I had paid, I was informed that they were not available for Click and Collect, but would be delivered. There was no...

Smart meters
I buy both gas and electric from British Gas. Got a letter today from them / "MPE MARKETING" saying that a nice person would be visiting me to chat about giving me a smart meter. In the past I have...
59
59

OT: WhatsApp problem.
Mainly use WhatsApp on the Win10 laptop. Worked fine for years. Just recently, it has refused to run. Click on the icon, and nothing happens. Tried uninstalling. New did them work until shutdown and...
15
15

Loft insulation & Triple glazing
Given the upwards march in energy prices and the need to insulate, insulate, insulate before considering a heat pump.... I currently have 270 mm of Kanuf eco roll loft insulation laid as two layers,...
6
6

Cheap 13Asockets.
I'll need some cheap sockets, 13A, 2-gang, switched. Is there anything I should look out for? Cheapest dso far: (£1.12) Better? (£2) 5-pack (about £1.9 ea).
23
23

What is the real LED energy efficiency?
the bottom of the link on no 5. Typical lifetime LEDs last 30 years Like fuck they do. I guess that in two years time I will be swapping as many failed LEDs as I now swap fluorescent tubes. And some...
135
135

OT: Washing the car in the rain
I didn't half get some funny looks from passers-by. But, it's all perfectly logical, as we don't have a hose, so I let the rain do the rinsing.
14
14

Vice jaw slotted, oops.
I have managed to grind a slot in my old Record vice jaws, due to carelessness. The slot's about a barleycorn deep, sideways in one end of an insert. The disc was one of those fat 3mm ones. I will...
3
3

[OT] E10 and all that
I have a four-year old Kia Niro. I have only done just over 11,000 miles to date. This is partly owing to trying to walk amuch as possible and one of the results of the pandemic. However, up to two...
20
20

OT: House inflation
not often you see a house so totally demolished by a gas explosion. Windows out, roof off, gables blown off yes, but total demolition is less common. I wonder what factors made it so devastating in...
63
63

haaaaaaaaaaaaaa
the very ones who keep hailing our wonderful diverse society no longer want to meet their hallowed diverse society face to face whatever could be wrong...
20
20

[OT] Pointless bus/cycle lanes
road was closed for a while and afterwards I was baffled by this short strip of cycle lane. And i'm not alone it seems. There is much of this locally, it's the same with the bus lanes, there's not...
76
76