Subject Author Posted Replies

CO detector for boiler required / recommended?
I've been told by the "heating engineer" who serviced my boiler that a carbon monoxide alarm is "required" - it's a non condensing ideal standard system boiler with a balanced flue. I've never had...
45
45

OT: Suppliers and their interactions.
Ordered 3 rolls of 150mm glass insulation from a cheap online source. Cost of materials, £78.59. Surprised to have it roll up (!) on a Jewson lorry! Jewson price £165! I guess the online non-Jewson...
12
12

Adjusting soil pipe position
I want to fit a wall hung toilet, with the stack outlet at 220mm above FFL. Keen not to go above that - we are both short! The toilet will go into a custom Grohe piece which is a 90mm 90degree bend,...
5
5

OT 2nd year apprentice
Not only was he on time when I picked him up at home at 6.45am he put in a performance that made the 3rd year apprentice look shit.
7
7

Sensible alternatives to skips?
Back in the day if you were doing building or demolition you just hired a skip. Then along came skip bags. Then along came lorries with a grab and you just piled up your rubbish for the grab to...
7
7

Wago box alternatives
I really like Wago connectors but I've never really found that Wago boxes work particularly well. I put up with them because there's not much alternative but I'm not often entirely happy with the...
6
6

New, free central heating, was re: boiler sizing
Hi, you may remember that I asked for some advice about central heating that we were offered and I am pleased to report that it has now been installed and commissioned. First impressions are very...
27
27

How many LED ceiling panels?
So, the fitting out of the outhouse is taking a long time in fits and starts, but I'm getting there, alongside tearing the kitchen apart before the new one arrives. The outhouse now has new boards and...
6
6

Current rules regarding fireproof cable mounting
Following on from discussion in a recent thread here can anyone fully clarify the latest rules about fireproof mounting of cables. My understanding of the new rules was that just about all cables in a...
18
18

queen
she told them they can stick their EV taxi, bean shute and grass seed meals up their arse fillet steak and V8 range rover or nothing she said The Queen will not attend COP26 climate change summit
17
17

13 Amp Socket System
I need around 10 x 13 Amp sockets for all the kit in my home entertainment system, all low current stuff but hard to keep things tidy with a trailing distribution board. Is there anything that allows...
29
29

OT - checking why a flight was diverted
Just idly watching planes on FlightRadar24 because there seems to be a military exercise going on with loads of helicopters. I noticed a commercial flight suddenly turn back. It then curved around for...
4
4

OT: registry scanner
Wisely or not, I have been using registry scanning software. What puzzles me is that quite a lot of the 'errors' are pdf and Word files. Why would an ordinary file saved into an ordinary directory...
15
15

Easiest way to surface mount cables on hard wall
I will be reworking the electrics in my Dad's double-length garage, because they are currently a bit of a mess. I'll be installing a ring in 2.5mm sq. twin and earth with maybe six double sockets, and...
87
87

Frost free fan
I have de iced the fan which was solid with ice . Since then both the warning lights are on after restart . Have pressed fast freeze button for 10 seconds but they have staid on . Run freezer but...
20
20