Drill repair

Ok. so there is an impact driver in the post:-)

While I have your attention, has anyone attempted a gearbox repair on a Makita HP457D ?

Engaging low speed has worsened such that several attempts are now needed. Stays engaged once the right slot is found.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I have a BHP458, the keyless chuck's going a bit graunchy, but that's all.

Reply to
Andy Burns

A generic repair is to open gearbox, redistribute the grease inside, and add some -- I use a lithium grease as for grease guns. This generally lets the gearbox run quieter, and more smoothly. I'd think it there's a chance it'd help in this case -- easy enough to try, and you could have a look round for any obvious wear. Axial wear can be compensated by using a washer as a shim, radial not so much.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

In message snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Thomas Prufer snipped-for-privacy@mnet-online.de.invalid> writes

Ok. I was hoping someone would have done a strip down and could point up any *gotchas* regarding benefits. As things stand, the drill is usable but moderately annoying: drill the holes and then struggle to change gear for fitting the screws.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message snipped-for-privacy@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>, Tim Lamb snipped-for-privacy@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> writes

Ok. All. I have found a video of a gearbox change. At 34.56 my enthusiasm is dwindling:-)

Tim Lamb

You can probably get the whole drill "body only" for that kind of money...

Reply to
John Rumm

Could the fault be as simple as

alan_m

Indeed. I found that one but struggled with his English.

As John says the bare drill can be bought for £39.95 or so.

I might go as far as the checking slider but would be very surprised to find that level of crap inside.

The bare impact driver is due here between 4 and 6.00 today. (Hermes/evri) This may inform my choice:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I may have the same drill as yours and it was crap (plaster dust) that stopped my forward/reverse switch from working smoothly. I didn't dismantle too much to clean that out to get it working again.

The only other thing I've managed to break after many years of hard use was the keyless chuck. One of the fingers that held the drill bits jammed up. This was replaced with a third party chuck from ebay for under £10.

Just remember that it doesn't have a chuck so you need bits with an end that can be held by the driver mechanism or a (magnetic) bit holder.

Examples

You can also get bit holders with the same latching mechanism as on the end of the driver which can act as an extension to get into tighter spaces.

Reply to
alan_m

Ok. The hammer action is poor on this drill so most work has been drilling timber and then fitting screws.

It is here! As advised!

I have a mains operated impact driver so plenty of suitable bits.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Might be worth looking out for a used one on Ebay where the battery has failed and they've bought new complete?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I thought what Tim ordered was more "impact wrench" rather than driver?

(although with a suitable square drive to hex adaptor, it would probably work ok for driving screws etc as well as torquing nuts!)

Reply to
John Rumm

Terminology? It has a hex gripper although I do have a hex-square adapter.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Indeed. I've got an impact wrench with a 1/2" square drive which is capable of undoing tight wheelnuts. It would smash the hell out of your average screw.

Reply to
Roger Mills

My bad in which case, perhaps I am confusing with one mentioned in another thread.

Yup impact driver[1], normally has a sprung female hex socket on the front to hold standard hex bits etc. Impact wrench usually larger and more powerful with a square drive.

[1]
John Rumm