electric impact wrench repair questions

Got a nice, new, Chicago Electric impact wrench that suddenly quit on me. Wondering where I can send it to be repaired. Don't know where it was purchased, as I bought it through Ebay. Or, is it even worth seding off for repair? New ones at a local store cost $50. Hate to just throw it away.

Maybe I'll see if I can take it apart and figure out what's wrong. Gotta be the clutch cause the drive doesn't engage as the motor spins.

Reply to
RB

Mine has worked flawlessly for over a year (once a week, hard use on average). It's a Dewalt clone. It's very good and Dewalt like with the following caveat: If you happen to pick a good one, then you got a good one. A bad one will go bad in short order.

They're on sale right now at some of the local stores for $39.

-zero

Reply to
-zero

Chicago Electric is the brand sold by Harbor Freight. They are purveyors of cheap tools from mostly China. I have no idea about warranty but you can check with them.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Harbor Freight doesn't even want to hear the word repair, on these.

Seems Chicago Electric doesn't have authorized repair facilites in the US. In fact, Chicago Electric isn't even in the US.

I'm going to have to fix it myself, if that can be done. I was into it awhile ago and couldn't find anything visibly wrong. However, the square drive spins freely, whether the motor is running or not. The motor is somehow disconnected from the drive tip.

I was hoping to find someone who'd done a fix-it job on these successfully.

Reply to
RB

There is a exploded view on the back page.

You should be able to order any parts. Any tool repair shop could fix it, but at the end of the day, it's still a $39 tool (disposable).

-zero

Reply to
-zero

Thanks mucho. Had no idea those diagrams were out there.

Pure guess at this point, but maybe the spring broke. Seems it's job is to kick the drive into engagement with the square shaft outside the case. If I'm right, then that's what the problem is. Theory being broken spring = no engagement. I'll check it tomorrow now that I have something to look at.

Reply to
RB

Dear RB, I'm with you, don't like to throw out otherwise good tools. I got six or seven years of occasional use out of Wel Bilt. From Northern tools. Paid about $70 for it, and sure got my use out of it. What the other poster said is good advice. Go to Home Depot and buy yourself another one, and have one for parts. You're likely to need brushes, etc, in a couple years. Did you get a used one? What was the price you paid, and how much shipping?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It was $15, and $15 for shipping. It's the orange body one, and was brand new in sealed box. I can certainly consider it a throwaway, but hate to do that if it's something I can easily fix. Looking at the parts breakdown, it's probably a broken shaft or a broken spring. Looks like either would prevent engagement. I instinctively don't like tossing stuff out that maybe can be fixed, regardless of price.

My local Harbor Freight got a bunch of these in today, for $39 ea.

Reply to
RB

I've got the same instinct. Want to buy my old Wel Bilt impact wrench? Only got a broken center shaft...

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I know this is long past the date... but some of the china made use plastic sheer pins and they only last for a little while. I had to make new pins for my cheep 12v dc impact wrench.

Reply to
M2Duncan

I'm a late comer to this thread as well...

An acquaintance mentioned these plastic shear pins a while back, and I could scarcely fathom such a thing... even from the Chinese.

Now it looks like it's actually so... utterly amazing.

Erik

PS, as a side note, many automotive steering columns use plastic shear pins that allow the column to collapse in an accident. Being impaled by the steering shaft was a common issue up to about the mid 60's when such column's were mandated. On occasion hot heads who like to beats on the steering wheel in their hissy fits will manage to shear them. They're the same folks who break off a lot of turn signal & like stalks.

Reply to
Erik