cordless impact wrench - for car wheels

I'm looking to get a cordless impact wrench like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2012-Model-24V-Cordless-Impact-Gun-Wrench-1-2-Drive-2-Twin-Batterys-BRAND-NEW-/120841996680?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item1c22be8988 as am getting on a bit and changing wheels is not my favorite pastimes. Having said that I don't do it that often so don't need the all-singing version. As long as it works. They seem a damn sight easier than leaning on 1/2 bar extension anyway, but I've not actually used one. Can someone recommend a particilar make/model - or what I should look out for when getting one thx
mike wrote:

Madness Unless you are using it regularly, the battery will not survive due to too few charge/discharge cycles.

Can't you get a man in or let a garage / tyre fitter do it?
Jacking the car up can be far more of a faff than undoing wheel nuts.

If it is just for changing wheels, a cordless type is pointless. Chances are the battery will be flat just when you need it.
There are 12v tools specifically for this job which run off the car battery. And quite a bit cheaper. I have one and it's very good - gets used for other things around the car too. Cost about 30 quid.
--
*Why is it that most nudists are people you don't want to see naked?*

On Thu, 11 Jul 2013 14:53:04 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

Ah - sounds good. What are these called? I can ebay then. I've seen them used to wind the screwjack up & down too. Hardly "madness". Saves a huge amount of work.

Try impact wrench 1/2" 12v. But mine couldn't be used to wind a jack up and down. You put it on the nut and switch on. It then sort of runs up to speed and smites the nut. Not the same as a cordless impact driver.
--
*WHERE DO FOREST RANGERS GO TO "GET AWAY FROM IT ALL?"

On 11/07/2013 12:52, mike wrote:

They are nice tools, but for occasional use a cheap cordless one is probably not ideal unless you can find a way to cycle the batteries from time to time etc so they actually work when you need it.
A high end LiIon one will last better with occasional use - but they are silly money.
A 12V one that runs from the car battery would be a better bet.
Of if you have a compressor, then a pneumatic one is also cheap and effective.
(also worth noting, that if the nuts are really tight, you may find you still need a breaker bar to shift them)
--
Cheers,

John.
On Thu, 11 Jul 2013 15:14:37 +0100, John Rumm

Yes I have good quality breaker bar. Also have a back injury so wheels on cars are a bit painful just now. It would be a damn sight easier with an impact wrench. Will look see if I can spot a battery driven one then.
On 11/07/2013 15:42, mike wrote:

There are mains powered ones:
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/clarke-cew1000-electric-impact-wrench?da=1&TC=SRC-impact+wrench
also the 12V ones mentioned before:
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cir13c-1-2in-impact-wrench-kit-12v?da=1&TC=SRC-impact+wrench
--
Cheers,

John.
On 11/07/2013 15:42, mike wrote:

Surely, lifting the wheel is far more painful than undoing the nuts?

If you've got a bad back, lifting the wheel on and off - and out of the boot - is likely to be more difficult than undoing a nut. You can simply stand on the wheelbrace.
--
*Sleep with a photographer and watch things develop

Rather than a cordless impact wrench you maybe need a set of runflat tyres and a subscription to a recovery service.
On Thu, 11 Jul 2013 15:14:37 +0100, John Rumm

ISTR that many years ago you could get a compressor/tyre inflator which connected to the engine. You replaced one of the spark plugs with a pneumatic hose and relied on the engine's compression to work the device. I don't know whether or not you filled your tyre with petrol/air mix... :-)
--
Frank Erskine

Frank Erskine expressed precisely :

I had one back in the 1960's/70's, they worked well. ISFAIK, they drew are in on the piston down stroke via a valve in the plug part of the unit, then on the up stroke the valve closed and blew fresh air. The air never smelled of petrol.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

The 12v one I have - special offer from Maplin ages ago - does something like 200 ft.lb It removed the crank pulley bolt on the SD1 which are notorious - and no need to lock the engine either.
--
*Succeed, in spite of management *

mike has brought this to us :

If you struggle, just get one of those telescopic bars for the purpose. No batteries to go flat on you at a critical moment. Aldi/lidl have sold them for less than £10 and they work great.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
On 11/07/2013 16:57, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

How long are they? I just use a 2 foot breaker bar.
Clive George was thinking very hard :

At a guess, almost two foot when extended. Rather than a right angle, they are more than a 90%, so the arm clears the wheel. The socket is a double ended type fits my 17mm car and the caravan - I think 19mm. They make it surprisingly easy to undo the tight ones.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Very nice piece of kit - and available elsewhere at twice the price. The reversible socket is a clever idea - but sadly neither fitted my car. It is a standard 1/2" drive, though.
--
*I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

No you need one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310410426533 powered from the cars battery
-