12 volt impact wrench

Anyone tried one of these lighter plug impact wrenches? I got to change a tire a couple weeks ago, and really coulda used an impact. But do they do any good, or are they all hype and no torque?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Specifically, don't know, but I would really doubt they have enough impact/torque to do much good on an over-torqued lug nut (as is usually the case if a tire shop did it -- seems like they universally just set their wrenches on "max". :( ).

I keep a long breakover in the car for the purpose -- I _know_ it will work when needed...

Reply to
dpb

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:_hqeh.36325$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyroc.rr.com:

The 12V HarborFreight driver only has an impact every couple of seconds(beats per minute,IIRC= 20).And rated at IIRC,150 ft/lbs. Most impact wrenches have 100's-1000's of BPM.They might be kinda slow.

**BUT,I've never tried one.**

I use a 1/2" drive breaker bar and socket. If you pull UPwards on the bar,you use your leg muscles instead of body weight when pushing down. IMO,you get more force.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I agree. Not only that, there's less chance of nicking your knuckles.

Reply to
CJT

The downside of using a breaker bar is that you're far more likely to break the bolt. An impact wrench is MUCH better for this situation.

While I have never used a cordless impact wrench, I would tend to have little confidence in a 12V unit. Nevertheless, I will defer to someone who has actually used one.

Reply to
Mike Hartigan

I avoid any impact tool that is rated at less than 400 ftlbs. Waste of money.

Reply to
DK

I got some new tires recently at WalMart. After the hippie seemingly finished, I asked if the car was ready to go. "Just a minute," the hippie said and disappeared.

Presently the hippie returned with the auto parts manager who was carrying a torque wrench. The manager proceded to test each lug nut. As he was doing so, the hippie oozed over to me and said: "Company policy. We have to have a second person set your bolts. Walmart doesn't want your nuts to fall off!" He was then dissolved into uncontrollable giggles.

I was pleased WalMart was concerned about my nuts.

Reply to
HeyBub

Walmart torques my nuts at least 25 ft lbs higher than spec. Discout tires over torques more than 40 ft lbs.

Reply to
DK

I wonder why? Do they think over torquing is better/safer?

I would think that the spec is set to both ensure safety as far the lug nuts not coming off and protection of the threads on the lug nut and or stud.

I'm guessing the installers don't even consider the possibility of damaging the nuts/studs and just assume tighter is better.

Of course, this is all coming from a guy who tightens his lug nuts until they squeek. "Man, they sure sound tight!"

Reply to
DerbyDad03

A couple farmers I know have them. 18 volt though, I think. Both like them. One tightened up the lug nuts on a pivot tire (7/8" nut). They were tight when he was done. I put my breaker bar on them to check.

Dean

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Mike Hartigan wrote: ...

You break grade-8 lug bolts w/ no more than a 1/2" breaker bar routinely enough it's a problem???? :)

Reply to
dpb

I'm with you, carrying the breaker bar. I've heard tell that some shops have contests. See if Joe can put the lugs on so tight that Steve's wrench won't get em off. Of course, they end up replacing studs, rotors, drums, etc.

The goal would be to get a rusted lug off after starting the motion with a breaker bar.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The one time I did a tire change for a friend, I started the lugs with a breaker bar, and then it woulda been nice to hvae an impact to get them the rest of the way. She had a X-wrench which helped a lot.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I did that a couple vehicles ago, changing shocks. The breaker bar sheared off the bolt, and an impact wrench loosened the bolt. Ah, well.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The 110 volter I got from Harbor Freight was about 200 rated, and it's worked very nicely for me. Used it several times. $39.99 and worth every penny.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Dean Hoffman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.inebraska.com:

the 18V ones are cordless ones similar to a cordless drill/driver. The one the OP is referring to runs off the cig lighter or has clamps to clip onto the 12 car battery posts.

The 18V ones have more beats-per-minute,and more torque(IIRC,230Ft-lbs compared to 150 for the 12v corded driver)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:dJXeh.36456$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyroc.rr.com:

the only thing stopping me from buying one of those is not having an electric outlet available in the apt. parking lot and too far a distance for extension cords.

IIRC,it's 240 ft-lbs. (and $39.99 is the sale price.)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I broke one many, many years ago. That one was enough to break me of the habit. I've no idea how many I may have damaged prior to that one, but it was probably more than none.

Reply to
Mike Hartigan

Being too far away from a 110 volt socket is why I was considering a

12 volter. For those once in a while moments when on the road.

The corrections to what I wrote about foot pounds and price don't change the message very much.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

big 750 Watt inverters are pretty cheap these days...get one that is at least twice the rated value of the impact wrench so it will start it reliably. I think an AC wrench and inverter would work much better than the 12 Volt job. A big inverter will draw LOTS of current , hook it directly to the battery, not to the cig lighter and maybe leave the engine running while using it.

Mark

Reply to
Mark