Chrome Book marks disappeared - Zpost

Come to the system today and all my bookmarks have disappeared. Well, there is one showing for the Halifax but all the rest are gone.

They were there a few days ago.

Google tells me to look for the Bookmarks and Bookmarks.bak files under Google in my profile, but there is no such file.

Which in turn makes me wonder where the single bookmark I have is stored.

Anyone else hit this recently?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Oh, $DEITY!

Turns out I was using Microsoft Edge even though the tool bar had Chrome highlighted. Before my second monitor karked it I would have known by the position. Both browsers now look remarkably similar. Also, having a fraught day :-(

Still don't know why there is no Bookmarks file for Chrome unless it has been changed to something else.

Sigh.

Dave R

Reply to
David

They are both based on the Chromium source code these days, so they would!

Have a look in :

%localappdata%\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default

There should be a file called Bookmarks (and probably a Bookmarks.bak)

You can open them in a text editor - they should contain entries in JSON format.

Reply to
John Rumm

Both browsers use exactly the same rendering engine anyway. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

If you don't want to use browser sync then Google/YouTube for variations of

"use chrome without signing in" "use edge without signing in"

Should be able to manage a local profile on a single machine, and be able to backup that profile (a directory) to be safe.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz