Gripping attachment for cable draw kit?

I'm trying to figure out a way to retrieve a magnetic geocache that's about 3 m above ground level over a canal towpath --- and put it back securely without dropping it in the canal. The cache appears to be a

35 mm film pot with strong magnets attached so it sticks to the side of a steel strut on the bottom of a bridge that crosses the canal.

I have this cable draw set

and was wondering if I could rig up some kind of suitable gripping attachment to the end. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Reply to
Adam Funk

What sort of loads are expected...and Is there access from the top of the bridge ?

Reply to
Phister

If it's above the towpath you could use a step ladder.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

I though the 'fun' of geocaching was meant to be locating them, not working out how not to break your neck getting hold of it?

Reply to
Andy Burns

A length of timber attached to a plastic cup with foam around the inside wall such that it can be pressed over the canister. An apple picker. A branch lopper with a gizzmo attached to the string so you can get a grip of the canister.

Reply to
nothanks

Well, a decently-sized neodymium magnet should prove more attractive to the magnets inside the geocache than the steel strut. Of course, if you're not careful you might get both of them stuck to the steel strut!

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Both, actually.

Reply to
Adam Funk

I might be able to rig something up with a spring clamp and string so that it closes itself when the string is slack. That might be a good way to get it stuck back in position after signing the log.

Reply to
Adam Funk

I thought about that but I don't see how to release it when putting it back.

Reply to
Adam Funk

A step ladder.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

How wide is the canal, and how often is it used? I was thinking of a tarp stretched across under the device so when it falls it falls in the tarp not the water. Putting it back should be a lot easier I guess. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

A loop of kite type string + magnet to retrieve. some thing like a lasso, The magnet to catch it from falling once the string has pulled it loose.

To put it back, just kite string, with a knot that can be released by pulling a second cord, like mountaineers use.

Reply to
Pancho

Forgive me for butting in but re neodymium magnets, the ones I've obtained from Ebay look like they're made of chrome plated metal but they're actually made of some ceramic material, and quite brittle

Can you get ones that aren't so brittle?

Reply to
Murmansk

Apparently it is an alloy Nd2Fe14B, there are two types sintered or bonded. The common ones are sintered and covered with something like nickel to stop corrosion.

Bonded, i.e. Nd2Fe14B mixed with epoxy, are supposed to be less brittle than sintered, but less magnetic,

Every one I've seen has been brittle, but maybe I've only seen sintered.

Reply to
Pancho

Ceramic magnets are NOT neodymium

are neodymium.

The ones I have feel like steel or similar weight/hardness wise But all neo magnets are somewhat brittle - some more than others - and all are nickel plated to reduce corrosion

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes:-)

I have, for the very same use, a fishing rod. 'round here, they put them up to height of 10-15 meters.

IME: putting it back is easier. Either rubber bands, which pull off once the canister sticks. Or a small plastic cup, place the canister at the side and wedge into place using newsprint. That'll pull out, and the newsprint falling out of the cup won't hurt.

For grabbing, 90% will come off nicely using a cup attached to the end. If falling into the canal is a problem -- I rigged up a grab wire. It tightens with a pull on a string, and a spring opens it up again, because it will pretty much never grab correctly the first time, and re-opening the string loop it tedious.

Might work on three meters -- string tied to the end, loop held open by a rubber band wrapped around the rod, end of string down at the ground end. Work the string around the canister, tighten, pull...

(And as an owner: bring a spare canister, just in case the other one sinks:-)

If you like: look for Lissi&Gusti on GC, message us, and I'll send photos.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

I'll probably take a kid's beach-type fishing net just in case.

Reply to
Adam Funk

I think you can walk across the bridge, but you wouldn't be able to see the cache from up there.

Reply to
Adam Funk

Thanks!

Reply to