Stuck draw

While replacing part of the kitchen counter I noticed the draw beneath the counter was stuck shut. No amount of pulling on the handle moves it one bit. We don't use this small, eating utensil sized draw, thus it being stuck has no real consequence. Now, it is a matter of principle or ego to get it open (without resorting to saws and crowbars).

I am able to reach up under the sink and put my hand into the top rear of the draw. Using a coat hanger to feel around, there doesn't seem to be anything holding it in from the inside. Any ideas on what I should be looking for, or how to attack this problem.

Reply to
Charlie S.

Drawer?

Reply to
Patrick Cleburne

er....

Did someone refinish the cabinets with something like varnish which could have "glued" the drawer front to the surrounding surface?

If you can't even wiggle the front sideways a tiny bit, that's my bet.

(Don't use force, get a larger prybar...)

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I can wiggle it up and down okay. No movement side to side. There hasn't been any vanish work or anything like that. My father said it's happened before.... years ago. He somehow was able to open it. He said, he kept it partly open for that very reason. Then, someone shut it and it hasn't been opened in years.

Reply to
Charlie S.

Too many possibilities for me to guess at. But if your dad got it open then you should have inherited the genes to do it too.

Do the other drawers in the kitchen slide on roller tracks? If they do, then perhaps your reticent drawer has a misaligned track and a wheel has come out and jammed.

Good luck, and sorry I'm not there to give it a shake myself,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

The drawers are not on rollers. Simple wood on wood.

Thanks for the encouragement about the genes. My genes tell me to ask someone who might be better informed:-)

Reply to
Charlie S.

Jeff, Finally got it open! Yeah!!!

Looked at the other drawers to find out how they were built. They are very simple drawers. So, I knew they had to be getting stuck in one particular spot.

Started pushing against various parts of the bottom of the draw, when, 'whamo' a narrow piece of wood popped out and the draw opened. The drawer struggled to make it through the channel. Maybe there was some water damage in there or something. Will have to investigate. Hopefully, I can restore it back to normal without having to spend all day on it.

You were right about the genes... Thanks for the encouragement!

Reply to
Charlie S.

Great!

Was just going to suggest usinging a crayon to draw would be easier! :)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth