Help: Unlocking the bathroom door

My three-year old locked the bathroom door (from the outside) and now we can't get it unlocked. It's the kind with the little round hole where a keyhole usually is. What's the secret?

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
Michael

A big axe.

Screw it. If inmates don't need no door around their john, neither does anyone else.

AJS

Reply to
AJScott

Mike,

Get a nail, small screwdriver, or any thing else that will fit the hole. Push in and you will release the lock.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

When we moved into our new house 20 years ago, the bedroom and bathroom doors all had that kind of a lock and resting on the top of each doorframe was the "key" that unlocked the locks. Failing that, a slender nail, screw driver or crochet hook would work. Just put it straight into the hole and push...that unlocks it.

Reply to
CAStinneford

A small screwdriver...its nothing but a slotted keyway buried in the mess..

Reply to
*CBHVAC*

Thanks for the help!

Mike

Reply to
Michael

Aw jeez -- you mean this wasn't one of those fake questions the jokers around here like to put up now and then? Fry that egg on my face ...

My apologies if my answer was really rude, but gosh, consulting an Internet news group and waiting for a reply that may not come for hours wouldn't be what I'd be doing if my 3-year-old kid was locked in a room containing prescription medications and shaving razors. But that's just me.

AJS

Reply to
AJScott

Uh, his OP did say (from the outside)ya know.

Betcha they've got more than one john in their house and he wuz just trying to avoid having to pay a locksmith to come over there and show him what to do.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Or that trusty ubiquitous coat hanger wire.

Reply to
Klm

Maybe. Some locksets require what amounts to a really skinny screwdriver-type blade that fits in the hole and has to be turned to unlock the door. The type I'm familiar with looks like a sardine can key.

Tom Flyer.

Reply to
--={Flyer}=--

Michael:

M > My three-year old locked the bathroom door (from the M > outside) and now we can't get it unlocked. It's the kind M > with the little round hole where a keyhole usually is. What's M > the secret?

If you have watched _Leave It to Beaver_ you get the little neighbour kid to climb a ladder, squeeze through the window, and unlock it. Or you could straighten a paperclip, inserting into the hole to trip the locking mechanism.

If this fails you could try the credit card trick: insert card to disengage lock plunger.

If the hinge pins are on the outside you could remove them and remove the door.

  • In space, lemmings have to shoot themselves.
Reply to
barry martin

Just push anything straight into it.kl Thin screwdriver, nail, piece of metal hanger and it will release.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Some of these do use a little screwdriver. You should be able to tell if you can see through the hole in the center of the knob.

Just a thought... Remove NoSpam to reply, Thanks

Reply to
Kahlua53

We have always used Weiser and similar type locks/door handles. With those, like many you push in firmly, dead centre on that pin inside, hold in and the doorknob will turn. We try to keep a thin nail, of sufficient length or a short piece of heavy wire coat hanger tucked on top of the outside trim moulding of any door that has that 'privacy' feature'. I just checked and ours are there over two of our doors! In an emergency; a child choking, someone bleeding, fallen in the bath tub, or having a heart attack in a closed room entry can be essential. Otherwise almost anything thin and strong enough will do. A knitting needle, large sewing needle, small thin sufficiently long screwdriver or my favourite a metal skewer used for holding a meat or poultry roast together, which is hanging next to the chopping block in our kitchen about 30 feet away. One final suggestion for all; try it out BEFORE hand. Hopefully you will then never need it! It can be more serious than locking yourself out of, or a child into, a vehicle! Terry. PS. I seem to recall that in our case a four inch nail is too thick but a three and half MAY fit. Smaller nails are usually too short; so make some (and spares) out of a heavy wire coat hangar. Pieces of coat hangar wire suitably bent at both ends also good for hanging bird feeders from trees and fences.

Reply to
Terry