Help Program 10 Year Old Craftsman 1/2HP Garage Door Opener Wired Keypad

Hi,
My neighbor has a 10 year old (1996) 1/2hp Craftsman garage door
opener (don't know model number). There is a wired keypad (has an
enter key) outside. She doesn't have a manual or code for it and
asked me if I would try to figure out how to re-program the wired
keypad. Under one of the white light covers is instructions for the
wireless remote, but not for the wired keypad. There is a small
button on the circuit board that's used for programming the wireless
remote, my thinking is, the same button is used for programming the
wired keypad too. I'm hoping most of these opener are similar in
there programming, so not having the model number isn't a problem. If
anyone can tell me the proper way to program the wired keypad, please
post here. Thanks in advance.
RG
Reply to
RG
First disconnect the opener from the outlet. There should be a little box inside the garage that the keypad is wired to. The box has a little cover which you must remove to expose a slide switch which is labeled "program" and "operate". Slide the switch to program, then enter your four digit code into the keypad. Slide the switch to operate and plug the opener back into the outlet. If you did it correctly the unit will work. You can download and print a copy of the instructions here:
Rich

Reply to
Rich
I found this at bobvila.com .............
Found the owners instructions for the model 139.53876 on Sears' official web sight; it worked for my very old 53776. Here is the link to purchase the item which also has a link for the owner's reference material (a PDF file which is viewed using Adobe acrobat):

If the link doesn't work, just go to
and search under 'garage door'
Here are the instructions for reprogramming in a nutshell: 1. If the transmitter is mounted to the door jamb, find a friend with a ladder; it takes two people. 2. On the key pad, enter the four digit code you want and HOLD the Enter key. 3. While holding the Enter key, have your friend who is standing on a ladder up by the garage door press the green SRT button on the back of the garage door opener(see note). 4. The garage door opener will either begin to move or the garage door light will come on. 5. That's all there is to it.
Note 1: The SRT button is not labeled, but should be visible next to a small green LED light on the back of the garage door opener near the garage door adjusting screws. Note 2: The manual recommends testing your other garage door openers to make sure their codes didn't get affected.
Hope this helps
Reply to
avid_hiker
These instructions will work for a *wireless* keypad. But the OP posted *wired*...
Rich

Reply to
Rich

Site Timeline Threads